Viewing a house for the first time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I can't remember what we did, there was some option (huge insurance scam), where you could pay £20 to take out insurance to cover you as long as you didn't know that you were definitely implicated. I've a feeling that it no longer applies and the church had to state before a cut off date not long after we bought in 2012, and so I can't remember if we paid up or took our chance!
Yes I think the churches had to register any liabilities in 2012, but I think that means they still exist where registered. Horrifying. But I'm sure SatNav won't encounter it!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
But I'm sure SatNav won't encounter it!
we've walked away from one church conversion (sorry chapel conversion) because of lack of garden but more importantly for us, it is less than 200-500m from HS2 going in and whilst there may not be many trains using the line each day initially, the building of it will be 'interesting' and the mainline west coast is only 500m away on the other side... but it is interesting to know because they have character... which is the sort of thing we look for,! right off out now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Ask about red ash, in your neck of the woods.
It's fine if it's all ok but a PITA if there is any damp at all and will need digging out and sorting. It's a big job and not terribly cheap.

Get a full building survey, once you think you've found the house you want. Can be a bit expensive, but if they find any problems then it'll save money you later on. Also, if some major problems are found (roof, foundation, electrical) you can ask for a drop in the sale price.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Elton is apparently somewhere to avoid (no idea why) an acquaintance bought on price there and still can't sell 5-7 years on from first trying.
We paid it a visit (along with Thorton-Le-Moors) and yes it is worth avoiding. Noise from the refinery (worse at T-L-M), road noise and travellers are the main issues from what we could see/here/smell (refinery not travellers) and litter. Neither area are for us.

We are leaving the 3 houses that we saw on Saturday. All had issues, mostly with road noise, or size of rooms, tbh.
We are looking much further north now tbh having seen some areas and properties (from the outside) that we liked on Saturday afternoon. We are setting up some more house viewings for next weekend.

Thank you everyone for the great advise. It is much appreciated.
We have a few more issues to deal/look into with the areas we are looking at (fracking and HS2 being the 2 main ones that spring to mind) but we are working on it.

Top Bottom