viking road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
How can it be very heavy but fast? And how can it accelerate better than a presumably significantly lighter spesh?
just how stiff the thing was you could really feel all your energy transfer into it, i dont seem to get anywhere near that with my new bike, and as said before yes it is a heck of alot quicker down the hills. i did find i always ran out of gears with it just being a 7 speed though so i could never get a true top speed out of it as i think it only went to 14t but over all it was a canny bike if you dont mind the weight, obviously you can change bits and bobs to suit your needs like the shifters ect

ayceejay

Guru
Viking used to be well respected run a factory team supply bikes to pro riders and teams .............................but now they just use the name and turn out heavy old s**t.

1959 Viking team bike.
Viking-SV-V1289-1-1024x768.jpg
The very thing. I had one of these that my mum lent me £15 to buy, the front changer was a rod that slide up and down on the seat tube. I have better bikes now but none are more fun than that one. I did a tour one summer (Wiltshire Berkshire Worcestershire +) doing 70 miles a day.

I have a Viking Torino, not to bad a nike, but it has had a lot of work done to make it even remotely nice to ride, its weighs usually 13Kg's up due to the fact it has guards and a rack, it weighs about 12Kgs stripped down, I wont be changing it any time soon due to the fact I can never get more than a about £100 saved up, however the current line up is very poor, and the gearing quite high for a beginner

nuttall1991

My first bike was a spectre. Got me into road cycling so I'm grateful of that. After getting knocked off it I got a carera zelos, a low end bike I know, but even this slight upgrade was incredible, hills I used to struggle up didn't even exist anymore.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Very heavy but stiff and fast, I had the Viking mistral as my first and it rode better than my new specialized in terms of acceleration, do go with the none with sti's if you can afford it though, it's worth noting they are all pretty much the same the prices just vary with name and colour

What is your favourite cycling magazine/website?

AndyRM

XOXO
Because, I imagine, of your gubbins about stiffness. You missed the words 'lateral' and 'torsional' by the way, though you managed to get in 'energy transfer'.

They are terms which have been discussed at great length on various cycling forums, and within the pages of magazines. I don't think a consensus has ever been reached.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Probably road.cc any reason why?
no the answer is of course www.cyclechat.net! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

jack smith

Veteran
i dont tend to read magazines i just like the updated on there facebook page but i am well aware of words like that and their meaning, i think you can really feel it with bikes and it is very noticeable when riding different ones.

Top Bottom