Viva Espana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

Andy....Lance will win the Giro - thats what he'll do!!!!!

Cryptic name Tete....need to think about that - any clues?

Must apologies for my lack of knowledge on the Drug front...I am new to all these Acronyms for different drugs and such like!!!

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

kennykool said:
Andy....Lance will win the Giro - thats what he'll do!!!!!

Cryptic name Tete....need to think about that - any clues?

Must apologies for my lack of knowledge on the Drug front...I am new to all these Acronyms for different drugs and such like!!!

No apologies necessary - once you have a wider understanding of the sport you'll no doubt remove your RTGs and see the cold light of day:biggrin:

kennykool

Rose Tinted Glasses...like Horn Rimmed Glasses....Like it Tete.

I'm fighting the urge to become a cynic of Cycling. Ity is hard saying as I read about a different doping story almost daily on this forum.

I'll have my RTG's on as long as possible tho

If you read the CEM forum I think they'll become less tinted...........may even become completely clear.

You really think that someone can win the Tour clean when some people are on PED's which give 10-15% performance gains ? Thats huge. Get real.............

kennykool

itisaboutthebike....good link. Some interesting stuff. Maybe it is possible to dope and NOT get caught. The guy on the thread certainly has a lot of knowledge on the subject. Infact so much so that it is as if David Walsh had written it!!!!!

I am still standing by every sportsman and congratulating them when the are winners! I will not have a bad word to say about them unti, they are PROVED to be cheats!

RTG's - everyone should have a pair. Might even get CC RTG'S made up ;)

There was an interesting snippet on the recent 20 great moments from the Tour. It featured a soundbite from Lemond after having been beaten (yah trounced) by Indurain in one of the TT's.............can't remember exactly what he said, but something like "it's like he's(Indurain) riding with 3 legs". And the reaction of Lemond was of complete disbelief.
I'm sure it was about '91 when EPO came on the scene..............

kennykool said:
iMaybe it is possible to dope and NOT get caught.
Yup!
I am still standing by every sportsman and congratulating them when the are winners! I will not have a bad word to say about them unti, they are PROVED to be cheats!
Of course retrospective tests don't count, do they...;)

kennykool

Chuffy - Retrospective tests do count and I would take them on board.

itisaboutthebike.....you saying that Indurian was on the drugs?

Kennycool - have you ridden any Alpine (or Pyrenean) climbs ? Or watched the Tour in the Alps ?

I think it was '97 on the Glandon - Zabel came up it like he was a madman(along with 3 others in the 'break') - and he isn't a climber(and at the peak of his career)

I didn't think it was possible to go that fast up a climb.

And sincec Zabel has confessed to using EPO in '97. If he could go that fast what were the others on ?

kennykool

itisaboutthebike - firstly it's KOOL with a K ;)

Secondly - I understand that doping exists ok. What i continue to say is that I enjoy watching these guys "sprint" up a massive climb. It amazes me, it really does. It amazes me at what human beings can do and it will continue to amaze me until they are proved to be cheats - if they get proved to be a cheat then my opinion of said rider will change.

Until such time I will enjoy the spectacle and the show that these cyslist put on!

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

itisaboutthebike said:
The look on Lemonds face said it all...............

Ah, now, y'see Indurain I found it harder to believe than with the others. Partly because of his style of riding - he flattened his opponents, I mean trounced them over 3 weeks, not so obviously explosive as we're led to believe PEDs do. But also partly because he was so quiet, unassuming etc:blush: But then I ask myself well his main adversaries were all on the juice so he MUST have been. His reaction to Riis' "confession" smacked of guilt too although I can't recall exactly what it was, just that I was suspicious at the time.

Got to remember too though that everyone reacts differently to EPO. Some respond better than others, so it's not necessarily fair to say "look at how Zabel's performance improved, ergo whoever beat him must have been on it".

For me it's more about the organisation of it, the culture of it, the Festina affair, the fact that from top to bottom riders were and are still now being caught.

Of course, if we believe what Willy Voet wrote in Breaking the Chain,the Festina set-up was designed to be for the riders' own good.
They were doping because they thought everyone else was doping, so they had to dope to keep up.
So they were getting their own dope, working-out what they had to take, working-out their own dosage regimes, etc.
The team manager and doctor, Bruno Roussel and Eric Rijckaert, felt that this was dangerous, that the riders were monkeying around, not knowing what they were doing, that they were going to affect their health.
So knowing they couldn't stop them doping, they decided the way to do it was to have organised doping, under team control and medical supervision.
The riders would contribute to a dope kitty, the doctor and soigneurs would administer it, the riders wouldn't mess-around with any other drugs outside the scheme.

So a good thing all round - good for the riders health, just what the team doctor is for...?

I'm sure this sort of organised practice still goes on.
The doctors and soigneurs are administering vitamin injections, all sorts of fancy embrocations and massage potions.
Some of these will be legal and legitimate, others will not.
Some of the riders will just take what they're given, not confront the idea that it's doping, then claim with a happy conscience that they're clean.

Top Bottom