Volunteer Sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hoping to get a few of those from within the HGV/LGV industry on here to give their views.
Volunteer is sought to take them on their usual route. Looking at London, Southside, sofar. Any one willing to show them what its like from the viewpoint of the cyclist, on your daily run?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
So, for all the talk about who's fault it is in cyclist versus HGV, there's not one person willing to share their commute with those from within the industry.
We get given the chance to put our side of the argumrment & no-body is willing to take part.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm not volunteering (don't commute in London!)
But I'm wondering if the lack of response is because it's not quite clear what you want?

Do you want a commuting cyclist to shepherd an HGV driver (on a bike) along their normal commute, at rush hour?
Or something else?
Just trying to clarify...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I do very few London/Southern deliveries and my company does not allow passengers. It would be a good idea however if cyclists could sit through a shift or two in an HGV to appreciate the issues faced by drivers on a daily basis.
And looking at the fitness levels amongst many drivers I see, getting out on a bike would do them good, and let them know how threatening even being passed safely can feel.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I have the editor of one of the industries magazines willing to give it a go & awaiting a response from a few companies as to whether they're willing to take part and see the roads from a cyclists point of view.
That requires someone who cycles daily, in heavy traffic, to be willing to be a cycling buddy to one of these people.
So far the RHA & FTA have proved unwilling to take part. Now we have a chance to put our side across to the industry.

stowie

Legendary Member
Classic33 - this is a great idea and I bet whoever rides with them will learn something about positioning around lorries as well as them learning about our challenges.

I only really commute through North and East London. Have you spoken with LCC/CTC or local Bikeability - maybe an instructor would be best suited to showing them the road?

If they want to brave CS2 then I travel this pretty regularly as do quite a few others on these forums. Good luck with this - sounds like a positive initiative.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I have the editor of Commercial Motor willing to take part. Having pointed out to his amazement that neither the RHA or FTA want to get involved in anything like this. In he's own words "He's up for it". Commercial Motor recently ran two cpoies that featured the problem that has been gone into great lengths on here.
Still waiting to hear from a few companies up here on the matter, local to me. But present waiting on a volunteer to take him through, on their daily commute & for him to start posting on here.
I only picked the first copy up because of the cover story. The second to follow up on it. Its a magazine thats read by drivers & those in the offices. But its those in the offices of these companies that I'm aiming to try to get & come out to see for themselves what its like.

@stowie, when he gets back/starts posting would you be willing to take him him on your daily ride?
He has my contact details, including my username on here. So if he's read any of the site so far he'll know what its like.

stowie

Legendary Member
@classic33 - pm sent

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I saw this and thought it was a good idea, as mentioned already though I think if you could add a bit more info it would help your cause.

For instance:

When is this taking place? Before Xmas, before New Year, in January? Later? This is the festive season and everyone has plans so I think you need to at least give a vague idea.

Do they have their own bike or will they be using a Bozza bike? And at what times, you mention commute so I assume you mean morning rush hour?

Do these drivers have any riding experience at all? Will they be able to manage a 10 mile commute for example? What sort of distance will they be comfortable with? Also I'm happy riding around Elephant and Castle roundabout and other busy spots like Old St, Euston Road, Hyde Park Corner etc, but I'd worry they'd think I was trying to terrify them on purpose if I took a total novice on such routes. But if I took take them on some real back routes away from the traffic it sounds like this may be defeating the object if you want to give them a perspective of what its like in traffic, where the lorries usually are.

I'm currently not working so don't have a commute but I'd be happy to help, as a result I am flexible and can do any route you/they want, so a bit of a cycle superhighway, embankment, central, whatever. I live in Oval/Vauxhall. Despite not working though I do have Xmas commitments and am off to Bristol for a week in January so the date is the most important factor from my perpesective.

I have not done any official cycle training but consider myself an experienced cyclist, cycle everywhere and would of course obey all the rules of the road, but I think you need to be careful with this, how will you know the person will not be a godawful liability that would give us all a bad name? Just my 2p worth, hope that helps.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
It would have to be in the New Year now. Most of the building work will be winding down now. And most of those in the offices will have finished as well.
But the idea is that those who are willing to take part, to see it from a cyclists point of view, will know that we are not trying to give a false impression of what its like, more a realistic view of what its like for us on the roads.
I'm also hoping that should they be in close contact with other traffic, that it is part of everyday cycling. I'm not out to scare them, make them realise what its actually like, Yes.
Reasons for not using a cycle trainer are that any cycling done with a trainer will be on quiet roads & away from the issue at hand.
Reasons for getting them out with someone who actually cycles on the roads on a daily basis, is they will know the trouble spots, be that roadworks, lights & the traffic itself. They'll also know how to deal with this, alternate routes in the case of roadworks or if traffic is heavy/non moving.
I'm hoping to get Morrisons in Bradford, and take them through the outskirts of the city to one of their major stores on the opposite side. If they feel upto it, tackle the one way system & visit one store in the city centre. The same with ASDA in Leeds. Depot just outside the city centre, with its own entrance from a quieter road, for the staff who work in the offices.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The other thing to consider is site related. How soon after they start posting(always presming they will) will their posts appear There is the fact that their first posts will be checked before being allowed on, to be considered.

... Or I am aware that with no knowledge of the area , where the hazards and pitfalls are, where I can safely use an ASLEEP or not (light timings and order) and a thousand other bits I know about my commute it would not be a fair or relevant contribution

As above, my contribution could be negative if I am unconfident

Top Bottom