Volunteer Sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
... Or I am aware that with no knowledge of the area , where the hazards and pitfalls are, where I can safely use an ASLEEP or not (light timings and order) and a thousand other bits I know about my commute it would not be a fair or relevant contribution

As above, my contribution could be negative if I am unconfident
Why would it not be a fair comparison? Drivers drive within the same limits/restrictions & use their knowledge of the a particular stretch of road, lightwise, to their advantage. In doing so is either of us any different?

Just got of the phone with a company that have had my details given to them, wanting to know what it is we are wanting out of this. I simply said that its an attempt to get companies to view the roads from our viewpoint.
It would appear that the origional idea, doing the city section of the commute, may have to be shortened.
Caller has promised to take a look at both the site & this thread, possibly maybe posting on here.
For those who have raised concerns over what is expecte, if they do take part I did explain that we are not looking at scaring the pants of them, more a case of showing them what the roads are like from our side.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The other thing to consider is site related. How soon after they start posting(always presming they will) will their posts appear There is the fact that their first posts will be checked before being allowed on, to be considered.
Are you referring to CycleChat here? The time for getting a post approved depends on whether a moderator is on line or not.
Our pics on the right mean we are logged on, though, not necessarily that we are at our computers or actually looking at the website.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you referring to CycleChat here? The time for getting a post approved depends on whether a moderator is on line or not.
Our pics on the right mean we are logged on, though, not necessarily that we are at our computers or actually looking at the website.
Thats what was meant. They may be posting but we might not be able to see it, due to site (CC) restrictions.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thats what was meant. They may be posting but we might not be able to see it, due to site (CC) restrictions.
You won't see it straight away, but you will see it. In practice it doesn't usually take very long for posts form new members to get approved (unless it is the middle of the night!)

Ganymede

Veteran
I hope you're planning to get the truckers to sign a disclaimer, classic! Also I wondered if you would helmet-cam them, or the person riding with them. Could be interesting, and I genuinely mean educational, but again, you'd need their permission to use the footage.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Posted on trucknet, some responses were to be expected, no different to here. But one or two saying that they either already cycle or are willin to take part.

... Or I am aware that with no knowledge of the area , where the hazards and pitfalls are, where I can safely use an ASLEEP or not (light timings and order) and a thousand other bits I know about my commute it would not be a fair or relevant contribution

This is an interesting point. It applies to most lorry drivers, in fact ... it's very easy to forget, when you live in a town or city and commute it every single day, that the lorry driver ahead of you may never have been there in his or her life, and (speaking as someone who has done both) piloting a large vehicle around an unfamiliar city centre is a rather larger challenge than riding a bike around one. This is straying off topic a little (if I commuted around London or any other city, I'd be happy to shepherd my fellow drivers about), but I thought it was a point worth making.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
We have three that drive in London, Two drivers & the editor of Commercial Motors. One in the North East& one in Leeds. Whats required now is riders to take them on part or all of their commute/daily ride.
Anyone willing to step forward & volunteer?

Top Bottom