Wanted- cheap SPD (mtb) pedals-mine have gone kaput

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Has anyone got a spare pair of MTB style spd pedals for sale?

The right one on my commuter allowed my foot to turn the opposite way and now i can only use one side as the screw that adjusts the spring tension has come loos and i cannot use the side it adjusts.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New Shimano 520 SPD pedals are only £21.95 at Merlin Cycles. They are what I use on my road bike.

Tyke

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally, I didn't need the cleats as they had already been fitted to the shoes to use with other pedals. I guessed that the OP already had them but fair point

Davidc

Guru
By the time you add the cost of cleats

Whenever I've seen new pedals there are clips included in the Shimano box.

(Unless you want the release in any direction ones which are extra).

I'm having to get used to the things again for a ride where they're compulsory. Far prefer traditional toe clips myself. I may well sell the pedals on ebay after the event. (Last time I did that they fetched more than I'd paid for them new).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm having to get used to the things again for a ride where they're compulsory.
Eh - compulsory SPDs? :wacko:

I've never heard of any event where a compulsory pedal type was mentioned! Helmets - yes; mudguards - maybe; pedals, er, no!

What event is it and why are the organisers interested in your choice of pedal?

Davidc

Guru
Eh - compulsory SPDs? :wacko:

I've never heard of any event where a compulsory pedal type was mentioned! Helmets - yes; mudguards - maybe; pedals, er, no!

What event is it and why are the organisers interested in your choice of pedal?

It's in France, a part of a 'fun exercise day' while I'm staying with a friend near Verdun. All it is is a peculiar trip round the group of villages where the people from each village join where they live and go round from there finishing at the same place they started. There's a running event too. I declined to do the run (fun run being the ultimate oxymoron) but said I'd do the ride if I could borrow a bike. They say the pedals are for safety reasons and when I asked the reply a week later was insurance! Couldn't see the shrug of the shoulders on the phone.

Helmets aren't mentioned, mudguards aren't mentioned, neither are brakes, lights, tyres or saddles, but 'pédales automatiques sont obligatoire'. It's stupid. I don't understand why but suspect it's a conspiracy to see if they can get their English guest to fall off in public.

I'm practicing because although I'm not a fan of the pedals, and in what's now about 600 miles I've never come off, I'm absolutely determined not to be the old English bloke who falls off his bike in front of a few hundred mildly inebriate French people!

An alternative explanation is that one of the event sponsors is DesMoulins Cycles - which appears to be a shop.Friend Giles says that everyone entering gets a 10% off accessories voucher.

Top Bottom