Wanted: Rear 6-speed mech to replace Sachs Huret Eco S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My ride today ( http://www.strava.com/activities/102335137 ) meant I've hit my revised target of 6641 miles. However ... en route back the rear mech on my 1986 Raleigh Team broke.

It's a Sachs Huret ECO S, marked 4285 so presumably Week 42 (late Oct) 1985 and is 6-speed.

Does anyone have a spare 6-speed rear mech at all? Looks like this (or did before the plates bent!):

$T2eC16FHJFwFFZqkDBOrBSZ2Pu7M(w~~60_57.JPG

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a very similar one you can have. It is a six speed. It came off a late 70's cheap Eddy Merckx. I am just going out for a bit but will upload a pic when I get back in.

Wobbly John

Veteran
I've got a couple of NOS ones similar to that. However, I've just been out to the workshop but failed to find the 'spare mechs' box.

I'll try to look again later.

eck

Über Member
Which plates are bent? If it's the side plates of the cage carrying the jockey wheels, you could maybe straighten them? I managed to mangle a Campag mech but was able to rescue it by taking the jockey wheels off, removing the back (inner) plate and straightening both plates by judicious squeezing in the vice. Might be worth a try?

It might also be worth checking that your gear hanger (the bit on the frame that the mech attaches to) isn't bent. Your LBS should have a tool to check this.

Also, I'm guessing you're not using indexed / STI / ergo shifters? If it's just friction shifters you're using, I think just about any rear mech would work. I use a Campag 9sp mech happily with a Shimano 7sp cassette.
HTH.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@eck - yes, it's the side plates that are twisted about 30 degrees to one side.

I'll check the other bits but hopefully I can sort something. And yes, they're just friction shifters although there's no rear mech hanger. It bolts directly onto the frame.

eck

Über Member
Sounds promising. So... try straightening the plates as I suggested, Nothing to lose!
If it's friction shifters, you don't have to replace the mech with the same model unless you want to keep it original. I'm reasonably confident that any mech would do.
If it's a steel frame the "mech hanger" is part of the frame, and can still be bent if the mech gets damaged. If the mech works ok,then it's fine, but if not, get it checked by your LBS.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Here is the one I have. It has an integrated hanger so may not suit, but it is yours if it is of any help. :thumbsup:

DSC_0067.jpg

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found my box of spare mechs tonight:
SachsHuret_zps903657f2.jpg
Taken out of it's packet to get a clearer photo. Any use?

Perfect! Can I take it off your hands? How much?

Hacienda 71's is going to be mixed up with the damaged one, but that would save a lot of time. The current one, repaired, could then be a spare.

Top Bottom