Wanted: Stems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What size do you have now ?

OP
OP
F

fabregas485

I have to measure, but I believe the stem on my bike currently is 120mm. (I brought a 58cm bike, and the frame is defiantly too large for me)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Probably a good idea to take a position roughly where you feel comfortable, and measure from there to where your bars are currently - that should give you some idea of the size(s) you need to try.

OP
OP
F

fabregas485

I went to my lbs today to try stems to see what size I need. They gave me a old 80mm stem which is perfect. Thanks everyone for the help.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
Why did you change it, I think mine needs changed as well. I get a sore neck, and I know the reach is too far for comfortable (often using tips of fingers)

I just looked, mine is 100MM in length, 31.8 wide or whatever it is. I looked at flipping it, but flipping it makes the handlebars lower so its already as high as it can go, and there is no room for spacers so they are at their max height. Height is actually fine, I think they need to be closer and think maybe 80mm might be better for me as well

OP
OP
F

fabregas485

I used to get a pain in my lower back after fairly short rides, so I changed the stem. I went from 120mm to 80mm but it was purely a guess which just so happened to be right.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I swapped the original 110mm stem on my first road bike for a 90mm one with a quite high positive angle. I was totally unused to the road bike riding position. Five years later, I'm on a 110mm stem with a low angle. I slowly got used to the riding position over time but I'm still pretty upright. There's absolutely no point in riding a bike that feels uncomfortable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have just raised my stem to the top of the spacers on the commuter after much resistance to do so as i felt like the bars were to low , my backs getting old i guess :sad:

Top Bottom