WANTED - Vintage frame for Fixie/Single Speed Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

As the title says, I'm after a frameset or bike for a light restoration and conversion into a single speed. A full bike is not necessary, but a very good quality frame/folks (straight, no dents or rust) definitely is. I plan to source any missing components as required.

My ideal frame would be:

British made c1960-80 road/racing style
Reynolds 531 steel or better
54-56cm seat tube length (c-c) and sub-55cm top tube (square or under-square geometry)
Ability to take 28mm (or wider) 700c tyres
British threaded bottom bracket style
Accommodation on the frame to take both front and rear brakes

Like I said, condition of the frame needs to be as good as possible, absence of peddles, gear set, handlebars etc is not a problem.

Cash waiting and can collect within 2 hours (150 miles) of Suffolk.

Thanks,

J

Steve T

Veteran
When you say the frame is to be a good as possible, do you mean paint work or frame condition? I have an excellent 531 steel Bob Jackson frame available which suits your spec perfectly,but a previous owner in their wisdom has decided to bottle can spray the frame a light blue which spoils the look somewhat.
It is a 55cm seat tube length and 54cm top tube and would like £75 for it,including handlebars,seatpost.stem,downtube shifters and old style'suicide' brake levers & brakes.I often work in Cambridge so collection could be arranged. will post a picture if you are interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Hi Steve,
That sounds as if it might have potential. Do you know the model type?
When I said that I needed the frame in good condition, I meant that it must be mechanically sound - straight, no major rust or holes etc. in other words, a safe and true frame to build the rest of my project around. A dodgy paint job I can probably deal with - I'm not afraid to strip it back, or I know a local firm that can shot blast and re-spray for a very reasonable price.

PM on its way with email details for pictures...

J

Steve T

Veteran
CIMG0028.JPG CIMG0027.JPG

Not the prettiest of frames I'm sure you'll agree but its very light for a steel fram, I don't know the model I bought it from biggs682 last year( see his profile he buys/sells classic steel bikes and frames and lives 4 miles away - I know Martin well) and he assured me it was a Bob Jackson which had been resprayed, I put some wheels and modern groupset hence the modern BB,but then bought a mint 1983 Raleigh Clubman so had no use for it.I also have a number of bits and peices - shimano STi levers, Brooks saddle etc which are also no longer needed. If you need anything else I'd be willing to do a reasonable price for it. I also have the original crankset and BB which you can have for free if you buy the frame.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 98336 View attachment 98335

Not the prettiest of frames I'm sure you'll agree but its very light for a steel fram, I don't know the model I bought it from biggs682 last year( see his profile he buys/sells classic steel bikes and frames and lives 4 miles away - I know Martin well) and he assured me it was a Bob Jackson which had been resprayed, I put some wheels and modern groupset hence the modern BB,but then bought a mint 1983 Raleigh Clubman so had no use for it.I also have a number of bits and peices - shimano STi levers, Brooks saddle etc which are also no longer needed. If you need anything else I'd be willing to do a reasonable price for it. I also have the original crankset and BB which you can have for free if you buy the frame.
@SteveT I only repeated what I was told so no guarantee it is a BJ please be aware

Steve T

Veteran
frame number is 4549 only - not very long is it? Dont know if that means its more or less likely to be authentic, I'll weigh the frame if it helps authenticate its 531?

Steve T

Veteran
Any thoughts on the Brooks saddle, I've got a couple of days off next week after next so perhaps we could arrange a meet up then- I could fit in with a day trip to Cambridge with the kids?

Top Bottom