Was I a selfish rotter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Some years ago me and my clubmates entered a 100-mile 'Reliability Trial' in midwinter (cold with grey skies on good roads but luckily no snow or rain) and before the start I was showing off my small rucksack full of food and drink goodies.
Guess what? Yup, it wasn't long before some of my poorer-prepared clubmates kept coming up to me to beg food and drink off me after theirs had run out, but my answer was always the same- "Sorry, I've only got enough for myself."
As a result they were dropping out of the event like flies, and only me and a few others finished the course..:smile:
I suppose it was partly my fault for showing off my beefy rucksack before the start, but as a matter of interest what would other Cycle Chat members have done in a similar dilemma, either fed the scroungers or let them starve?
(PS- are there still Reliability Trials around nowadays?)

'What comes around goes around' I'll help folks out (especially mates) and on the occasions where I've needed help, they've helped me. You still get reliability rides these days.

Why should you suffer because they couldn't be arrissed to prepare?

Quite right

if they had split tyre would they expect you to give them your tyre so you couldn't ride on but they could?
same thing really - by allowing them to ride on you make it so that you will both fail to complete it

It is as if they are expecting you to bring enough for everyone
AND carry the weight of it all!

so they can get away with less weight for themselves

simongt

Guru
It's understanding and recognising the difference between those who were genuinely forgetful and t'other's who were simply opportunistic scroungers. :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Years ago we did a group mountain bike ride in the Brecon Beacons. Everyone was told what to bring in their toolkit / repairs including spare tubes. One guy decided they couldn’t be bothered. Guess what, they suffered a mechanical they couldn't fix (But could have it they’d brought the items they’d been asked to). They were left where they were with the words “See you back at the bunkhouse”.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Mick Mudd if this happened a few years ago, why are you asking the question now?
Did you recently meet someone that was at the event, and they gave you the cold shoulder? :whistle:
I would have shared, then asked them to buy me food at the next opportunity.
Why were you carrying a rucksack full of food on a 100 mile ride?
Ok, a small rucksack, but still ...
Why were you showing it off before the start?
So many questions lol
Yes, you were a selfish so and so ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why were you carrying a rucksack full of food on a 100 mile ride?

They work for these guys?

cropped-DELIVEROO.jpg

Top Bottom