Wearing lycra is not a come on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony B

How about turning up there with Mr W and if he is there point him out to Mr W, this might just shock him that you have bought someone with you, and hopefully frighten the pr@@t pest off.

bonj2

Wheeledweenie said:
This morning a creepy guy who also frequents a bike shop near work was perving on me yet again in a manner that made me feel incredibly uncomfortable. He's tried before but I've always managed to pedal away before he came close. This time I was trying to put stuff in my pannier and put dust caps on my valves so he obviously decided it was a good chance to have a go. Lots of mentions of my figure, continual requests for my name, refusal to take my silence and strained expression as 'leave me alone' etc. He then asked where I was going and said he was going to follow me 'for the view'.

I was wearing black lycra shorts that stop not far above the knee and a short-sleeved, high-necked jersey.

It's happened a few times before with various men, always when I wear my lycra gear, and it's really annoying and always leaves me feeling a bit gross.

I rarely, if ever, get chatted up in normal clothes and if I do a discreet mention of the boyfriend sends them off with a polite 'nice to meet you'. The men who try it on when I'm sweaty, dishevelled and in my cycle gear are generally more persistent. When a guy goes past in bibshorts I don't think he's up for it so why do so many men think it's ok to crack onto a woman just because she's in practical cycle gear?

Leave us alone!

Sorry to rant but it really made me incredibly uncomfortable and I'm actually inclined to avoid that bike shop because I just don't want to see him again.

I don't know what you ride, but has it occurred to you that it might not be YOU they're ogling, but your BIKE?

jeltz

Veteran
fossyant said:
Cycling kit and road shoes no chance.. at any fight back.... arse on deck.

One advantage of SPD's then!

As a martial arts person as well as a cyclist I can't help thinking that the rigid sole and cleat on an SPD style shoe would make well executed kick even more "effective".

jeltz

Veteran
Corvette chic said:
The fecking creep he's lucky he didn't get a bike pump smacked round his gob with the pump!!!!

There was an Edwardian "Martial Art" called Bartitsu devised by an engineer who had lived in Japan called Edward William Barton-Wright, a large part of it using every day items as weapons and that included bicycle pumps, however I guess that today's pumps would be less useful!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Waffly's advice is the best. Just take a picture of him without any warning if he starts talking to you again and when he asks why just say that that's what the police asked you to do when you reported him to them.

GrasB

Veteran
jeltz said:
One advantage of SPD's then!

As a martial arts person as well as a cyclist I can't help thinking that the rigid sole and cleat on an SPD style shoe would make well executed kick even more "effective".
I read that as fossyant would be on the deck not the aggressor. I totally agree, on well aimed kick to the shin with the cleat will probably cause enough instant pain reaction to at least get on the bike & away.

Top Bottom