Weird puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
Had a puncture at the weekend, tyre was clear and I couldn't see anything at the time so I just popped another tube in. On checking the damaged tube at home, the hole was on the inner side, but between spokes, rim tape was intact with no sharp bits or anything obvious that could have made a hole.

I did go heavily into a small pothole , but that was several miles before the puncture. All I can think of is that last time I had a puncture a bit of grit or similar get into the tyre and then made a hole when I hit the pothole, but the tube didn't go down immediately, I didn't notice anything anything in the tyre at the time. :scratch:

I had a few (three) innertubes from Decathlon a while ago that all suffered the same as you describe, all failing along the inner seam.
Someone of this parish pointed out it was probably a bad batch from the factory.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Last Friday day on the High Peaks Trail on my Brommie I had a visit from the P*ncture Fairy right beside the Royal Oak, Hurdlow.
While sat sitting in the beer garden drinking my orange juice & lemonade, I popped the tyre of and found that a bush dagger had pierced the Marathon Plus protection.
I took the tube into the pub to use their sink to find the hole.. Nope , no air bubbles bubbled!
I refitted tube, tyre & wheel.
Pumped it up & up it stayed! It's still OK now..

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Hole isn't quite on the seam and it definitely looks like something has made it, as the edges of it are jagged. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
I would suspect like you a bit of grit was trapped between the rim tape and the tube , impact caused a puncture but the grit remained in place almost sealing the whole until slowly leaking air allowed in to move giving you a deflation event

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
I would suspect like you a bit of grit was trapped between the rim tape and the tube , impact caused a puncture but the grit remained in place almost sealing the whole until slowly leaking air allowed in to move giving you a deflation event
Yeah, I reckon that must have been it. I wouldn't have minded so much, but my pump decided to give up the ghost and I eventually got about 40 psi in, which made for very interesting handling for 8 miles or so until I reached the kind people at Lutterworth Cycle Centre and their track-pump ^_^

Top Bottom