Welcome to Reading (Motorbike close call)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here's the video. Police would like a word if you can identify the rider of Silver Yamaha R6, W351JBU - contact Thames Valley Police quoting Crime Number 43160223664. Video contains (quite justified) swearing and quite some afters between the riders.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7a4NiBVj_k

jarlrmai

Veteran
The rider will never be found, bet the bike was "recently sold" and there is no insurance or current owner.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for either party, but I'd guess from the motorcyclist's manner and the fact that he didn't blithely ride on, that he too was shaken by the incident. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he genuinely, albeit mistakenly, thought that the cyclist was going left and that there was room to pass him on the right. The cyclist's body language and poor road positioning could well have contributed to that belief.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Seriously? That's what you got from that?

The only person "shaken" was the cyclist the motorbiker came back to cause more trouble using the 'excuse' of the shocked exclamation of the cyclist.

He might have thought that mistakenly but his demeanor, posturing and words during the confrontation indicated he really didn't give a shoot about any of it and was just after asserting his "dominance".

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The only person "shaken" was the cyclist

Speaking as an ex-biker, if the two had actually collided it's unlikely that it would have been just the cyclist who ended up on the deck. If you'd have been able to retain your composure after a near-miss like that, then I take my hat off to you.

He might have thought that mistakenly

Glad we're agreed on something. :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If he's so distraught about the danger he was placed in, then why eff and Jeff and place himself in further danger?
I've emitted rather rude words when clipped by cars and I don't swear all that often. It seems a reasonable reaction to me.

I wouldn't have stood around to pass the time of day with the moto rider on a deserted street, though. I'd probably have started heading for a nearby crowded area ASAP so at least there would be obvious and visible witnesses if they did come back.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Even if the cock on the Yam thought the cyclist was going left, he passed him far too closely. I'd go so far as to say that he deliberately buzzed him at that high speed to give him the fright of his life.

Biker is nothing but a thug.

GC

Drago

Legendary Member
I've emitted rather rude words when clipped by cars and I don't swear all that often. It seems a reasonable reaction to me.

I wouldn't have stood around to pass the time of day with the moto rider on a deserted street, though. I'd probably have started heading for a nearby crowded area ASAP so at least there would be obvious and visible witnesses if they did come back.
Just mutter them under your breath. It's equally satisfying for your soul, but doesn't place you in further danger.

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for either party[/B], but I'd guess from the motorcyclist's manner and the fact that he didn't blithely ride on, that he too was shaken by the incident. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he genuinely, albeit mistakenly, thought that the cyclist was going left and that there was room to pass him on the right. The cyclist's body language and poor road positioning could well have contributed to that belief.

On the approach the cyclist is in the middle of the lane, having passed the parked cars.

He them moves left into the hatched area at the entry to the roundabout.

He continues through holding to the line of the left kerb

To me that reads very much as "turning left". I would have maintained a central position in the lane

From Cyclescheme:

The approach

Take your lane. You want to be roughly in the centre of the traffic lane that goes in the direction you want to go in. When you’re still some distance from the roundabout – say, 20 metres – look, if necessary signal, and take up position. Even when there’s only one traffic lane entering the roundabout, this is important. It will prevent drivers racing you to the roundabout and cutting in ahead of you, and it will prevent left-turning drivers who arrive at the roundabout when you do from cutting across you.

As you get closer to the roundabout, ensure you’re in a gear that you can accelerate in. As long as you’re not going straight on, signal left or right for the benefit of drivers behind you.

Turning left

Give way to traffic on the roundabout, joining when it’s safe to do so. Take your lane. This dissuades drivers from cutting across you. Signal left as you approach your exit. Exit the roundabout.

from British cycling:

"Once on the roundabout, the idea is to keep command of the appropriate lane, whilst influencing by eye contact and negotiation, drivers in adjacent lanes, thus preparing the way for any lane changes required for a smooth exit. The Highway Code is ambiguous on this and seems to recommend riding around the outside of a roundabout. This is definitely at odds with good practice, as it puts the cyclist at the mouth of each intermediate entry and exit point. "
Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...ffective-traffic-riding-0#ESOPS7Fx9QUrP5Ot.99

Going straight on

Give way to traffic on the roundabout, joining when it’s safe to do so. Take your lane. On a multi-lane roundabout, take the left-most lane that goes straight on; it will make it easier for you to exit the roundabout and should dissuade drivers from ‘undertaking’ you. Signal left as you pass the exit before the one you’re taking. Exit the roundabout.

And from:
https://www.accidentadvicehelpline.co.uk/blog/cycling-safety-guide-cycling-roundabouts/

What might happen if you don’t know how to use roundabouts as a cyclist?
If you hug the left side of the road as you enter the roundabout you will put yourself in additional danger. It means cars can pass you in your lane and they can also cut you up by turning left without any thought to where you might be going. Indeed they may assume you are going left because that’s where you are sitting. By staying in the centre of your lane you are preventing anyone behind you from passing you and all road users will be able to see you.

Top Bottom