Went into the LBS today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
, spoke to the manager.

Told him I was after a new bike.

He said, "haven't you got enough already?"

I'll have to start doing the rounds of the other local shops, this one is clearly on to me now.

gavintc

Guru
I do love bike shop owners. Most have never been to the school of hard selling. In the main, they are honest guys, who love bikes and have to sell a few in addition to fixing a few more to pay their way in life.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've worked in my brother's shop, and my rule is 'nobody gets out without buying something'. I think he find it all a bit wrong...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
luplowe said:
A bike crazed fiend -- you'll have to start meeting shady bike dealing characters in dark alleys late at nite..
C'mon guv. Vintage Ribble. Smell the quality. You know you want it.....

palinurus said:
, spoke to the manager.

Told him I was after a new bike.

He said, "haven't you got enough already?"

I'll have to start doing the rounds of the other local shops, this one is clearly on to me now.

You could do what most cyclists do - lurk around outside in a dirty raincoat and hat until the guy goes for a pee and then dash in whilst the assistant is serving.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thing is they know you. Never been a big LBS visitor, mainly as I do all my own servicing - may pop into the odd shop. I've had two 'hellos' from Rick Greens via John The Monkey when we did bike to work, and one from another colleague last week..... you can't hide, and I haven't been in that shop for a long time - although they have, in the past done a few pairs of rather nice wheels for me......and other stuff.... (plus I used to race against Paul)........

My other LBS has known me from my teens - I grew up racing with him (and he is younger than me) - TBH, he was a class above most of the club riders - Commonwealth Games etc..... Anyway, he was the fella that sorted out my new fixed...

Shaun

Founder
I ring mine, tell him my first name, and he knows who I am instantly. I suppose that's the beauty of an LBS - personal service. :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Admin said:
I ring mine, tell him my first name, and he knows who I am instantly. I suppose that's the beauty of an LBS - personal service. :biggrin:

Exactly....I emailed mine , just to give him a heads up on the bike - i.e. I am well chuffed and settled with it.....

We all know LBS can't compete with on line prices, but if you want a bike/component and aren't 100% sure....... then they give the advice from their experience supplying, servicing, and warranty........ you get what you need, and with me, they end up saving you money - i.e. you don't need those hubs, these are cheap but are very good...etc....:ohmy:

Shaun

Founder
Well I replaced my Roubaix Pro tyres (one had a hole blown in it, the other was in a poor state) this week with All Cond Pro for bomb-proof puncture protection and Rob knocked me off a fiver per tyre. Not bad, and more than comparative with t'internet. :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
There is a shop in Hinckley and the guy obviously has a great love of bikes, but his shop is such a mess! it's only a really small shop but it's just like clutter in there. like my dad's garage! he hasn't got it sussed at all. i want to go in there and help him sort it out, so that people can at least see the bikes. do you think he will mind? :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yep mine seem to keep doing little fixes for free for me ... when I want to pay... and didn't even ask my name when booking the bike in to do the work... they are nice.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My LBS can be a bit disorganized at times but I get a discount, they like to chat and they'll fix stuff for free without notice. But it's no good expecting service if the pizza guy has just showed up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Admin said:
I ring mine, tell him my first name, and he knows who I am instantly. I suppose that's the beauty of an LBS - personal service. :wacko:

To be fair though, Admin isn't that common a name...

Top Bottom