west coast Scotland cycle trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfifi

Über Member
Hi im off in the second week in june to do my tour of west coast of Scotland .cycling from my home to queen street station to get the train to fort William, so my first night in fort William under the stars camping starting in morning going from fort William to Ardnamurchan then getting a ferry to isle of mull staying on second night then isle of mull to Lochgilphead third night ,then from Lochgilphead getting ferry to Lochranza on isle of arran fourth night ,next day all day on arran next day back ferry to Campbelltown then go around mull of kintyre back to arran fifth night next day a rest for my wee legs maybe go sight seeing more arran on last day before going home getting ferry at brodick to Ardrossan maybe cycle back or get the trsin wait and see first what weather like so i,ve promise Pat "5mph" and my mum i make contact well try to every nite as its my first time in 21 years on my own and the nerves are kicking in xx
:bicycle:

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Check in here every night so we know you are safe: if you need rescued there's bound to be a cycle chatter near you ready to offer assistance :okay:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Hi im off in the second week in june to do my tour of west coast of Scotland .cycling from my home to queen street station to get the train to fort William, so my first night in fort William under the stars camping starting in morning going from fort William to Ardnamurchan then getting a ferry to isle of mull staying on second night then isle of mull to Lochgilphead third night ,then from Lochgilphead getting ferry to Lochranza on isle of arran fourth night ,next day all day on arran next day back ferry to Campbelltown then go around mull of kintyre back to arran fifth night next day a rest for my wee legs maybe go sight seeing more arran on last day before going home getting ferry at brodick to Ardrossan maybe cycle back or get the trsin wait and see first what weather like so i,ve promise Pat "5mph" and my mum i make contact well try to every nite as its my first time in 21 years on my first own xx
:bicycle:

That is going to be a freaking lovely trip.
I'm Proper jealous :blush:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Talking to a guard on the Oban line yesterday about bikes on train, I was told always to prebook your bike on the west coast lines, I assume you know?(disregard if you do)
I found out that advance singles for Queen St to Fort Bill etc can be had for a very reasonable price but have to be booked early.
Its making me think too:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Check in here every night so we know you are safe: if you need rescued there's bound to be a cycle chatter near you ready to offer assistance :okay:
There weren't many to be seen when I rode out in that direction from Fort William last September ...

view-from-war-memorial-glen-uig-jpg.55765.jpg

carrie-climbs-drynie-hill-moidart-jpg.55766.jpg

Very nice though!

Attachments

• view-from-war-memorial-glen-uig-jpg.55765.jpg
    view-from-war-memorial-glen-uig-jpg.55765.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
  • carrie-climbs-drynie-hill-moidart-jpg.55766.jpg
    carrie-climbs-drynie-hill-moidart-jpg.55766.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 28

Big T

Guru
I've just returned from a similar tour but in reverse. We drove to ardrossan, left the car there, caught ferry to Arran, cycled to Lochranza, ferry to Kintyre, rode across the peninsula, ferry to Islay, day on Islay, ferry to Jura, Ferry to tayvallich, rode to Lochgilphead, then follow NCN up Loch Awe, then to Oban, ferry to Mull, cycle to Iona, then back to Tobermory, ferry to klichoan, cycle to Glenuig, then train back via Fort Bill from Lochailort to Queen St and another train to Ardrossan. Weather not too bad, still a bit cold, windy on the islands and some rain. Fantastic scenery especially on Islay and Mull.

We didn't pre-book spaces on the train, but bagged the last 2 (capacity is 6). Luckily, the midges hadn't yet hatched out. Hope it's the same for you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
[QUOTa
Talking to a guard on the Oban line yesterday about bikes on train, I was told always to prebook your bike on the west coast lines, I assume you know?(disregard if you do)
I found out that advance singles for Queen St to Fort Bill etc can be had for a very reasonable price but have to be booked early.
I,ve already booked my space on the train but now thay might a strike on the lines now:cry:

Bobby Mhor, post: 3716610, member: 33799"]Talking to a guard on the Oban line yesterday about bikes on train, I was told always to prebook your bike on the west coast lines, I assume you know?(disregard if you do)
Its making me think too:okay:[/QUOTE]
I,ve alr

OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
I've just returned from a similar tour but in reverse. We drove to ardrossan, left the car there, caught ferry to Arran, cycled to Lochranza, ferry to Kintyre, rode across the peninsula, ferry to Islay, day on Islay, ferry to Jura, Ferry to tayvallich, rode to Lochgilphead, then follow NCN up Loch Awe, then to Oban, ferry to Mull, cycle to Iona, then back to Tobermory, ferry to klichoan, cycle to Glenuig, then train back via Fort Bill from Lochailort to Queen St and another train to Ardrossan. Weather not too bad, still a bit cold, windy on the islands and some rain. Fantastic scenery especially on Islay and Mull.

We didn't pre-book spaces on the train, but bagged the last 2 (capacity is 6). Luckily, the midges hadn't yet hatched out. Hope it's the same for you!
What are the roads like :cycle:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Midges - avon skin so soft ftw.
Best thing I ever bought for both my Scottish cycling trips.

Plus I look ten years younger now too :laugh:

Top Bottom