Wet Sand Blasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
No, but what do you need to strip and de-rust?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have quite a big air compressor with a grit gun and even this isn't great for rust removal, so I can't see a power washer thingy being any good.
The best thing for rust removal is an angle grinder and cup brush with a small wire brush for intricate bits. Rust removal jelly works when used correctly, I get the worst off then use it in parts where pitting is still showing.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have quite a big air compressor with a grit gun and even this isn't great for rust removal, so I can't see a power washer thingy being any good.
The best thing for rust removal is an angle grinder and cup brush with a small wire brush for intricate bits. Rust removal jelly works when used correctly, I get the worst off then use it in parts where pitting is still showing.

Angle grinder and cup brush is indeed brilliant for removing rust from things like iron castings - let's say a fireplace or similar. I'd be dubious about trying to use it on something thin like a bicycle frame - but have never tried it to be fair. Word of warning - don't use a grinder - cup-brush or abrasive - anywhere near windows else you'll likely frost them. Also one snag with the cub brush things is having to pick out lots of pieces of steel wire from your legs afterwards, which is only a mild nuisance to be fair, but is certainly a reminder to wear goggles if one were needed

Colin_P

Guru
I was also going to mention mini grinder and a selection of cup and flat wire brushes but you cannot get into nooks and crannies. I too also many years ago bought an SiP grit blaster which never worked.

I'd be very interested in the pressure washer solution, if anyone knows about them, has one. @User9609 you may be the first!

TVC

A Sealy shot blast cabinet will cost around £300 if you do stuff regularly and have access to a compressor.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Angle grinder and cup brush is indeed brilliant for removing rust from things like iron castings - let's say a fireplace or similar. I'd be dubious about trying to use it on something thin like a bicycle frame - but have never tried it to be fair. Word of warning - don't use a grinder - cup-brush or abrasive - anywhere near windows else you'll likely frost them. Also one snag with the cub brush things is having to pick out lots of pieces of steel wire from your legs afterwards, which is only a mild nuisance to be fair, but is certainly a reminder to wear goggles if one were needed
Good advice about the eye protection, but the more expensive cup brushes don't throw off wire like cheaper ones.
I have used the method on frames with no problem, just don't be heavy on the pressure. That said I might think twice if it were some fancy modern day tubing I was working on!

Top Bottom