What a pain in the arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Well, hands really.

I've been putting up with it for about three years and procrastination hasn't served me well.

After a half hour or so on the summer bike I develop a dull ache across the width of my palms and down toward my wrists, inevitably rougher surfaces accelerate the discomfort. As I am no racing whippet and carry a fair bit of reserve energy supplies, my preference for touring is comfort over speed and I never use the drops unless going downhill and need a bit more braking reassurance than offered by just using the hoods. After a couple of hours I find using the chainset STi shifter to change up a ring quite difficult.

Whilst at the LBS doing a bit of shopping I mentioned this to one of the guys who recommended a change of handlebar and a shorter stem too. The summer bike I built up from scratch back in 2001 with handlebars that are 26.0mm diameter and I understand the standard is now a bit different.

My winter bike has a shorter reach to the bars from the nose of the saddle by some 50mm and to the hoods by 80mm; I feel no pain on this.

What I would like to do is to change the stem to one of a shorter reach (the present stem is labelled 100mm) that rises upwards a bit (reducing aero but increasing thigh to belly clearance :smile: ) and to change the bars to something more comfy, though still drops. I presently have bars that sweep forward but have heard mention of compact and anatomical though these mean nothing to me.

Anyway, could you good folks recommend me new bars and stem (with space for bar bag mount and garmin mount) and whether I should change the cables and bar tape at the same time?
IMAG0324.jpg

ta

Sharky

Guru
If your winter bike is comfortable, that's got to be the target fit and there must be some subtle differences to your summer bike. Double check the saddle position relative to the BB. If not the same, that could change the weight distribution and might be causing discomfort.

Compact bars are great, but they are just bars with less of a drop, so makes bending down less of a strain, but if you ride mostly on the tops, shouldn't have a bearing.

I suffer from arthritis in the hands a little and have fitted clip on tri-bars to one of my winter bikes. This takes all the pressure off the hands as well as making your self more aero and faster! But could interfere with your handle bar bag.

Good luck
Keith

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
An 80mm reach change is a big difference - especially if starting with only a 100mm stem... are you sure the summer bike is the right size for you?

However, looking at your current setup I'd probably try something along the lines of a 60mm stem...
This one is pretty much as good as any other, and cheap enough to try.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/

Couple it with a new bar - I like the planet X ones, as they have a shallower drop (and are light and cheap).
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBPX7075CL/planet-x-road-bar-strada-compact-lite-7050
Make sure you get the correct bar width - good starting point is same width as your shoulders, so your wrists are naturally straight when on the hoods.

You'll need to retape the bars. I'd suggest a comfy well padded set of tape. Specialized Phat-bar gets good reviews, but I use lizard skins....

I'd also look at repositioning the hoods slightly further back on the angle of the drop as they do look a long way forward. I find having the hoods at a natural 45% helps to bring the reach back to a more comfortable position.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 for lizard skins 3.2 tape, fantastic stuff, should be able to find in red for around £25

I have a squashed ulnar nerve and find the tape and good specialized bg gel mitts help. I have pro plt compact bars but needing 38cm width doesn't leave much space as well as cross levers

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed and I now have on the two bikes I use for longer rides but now deleted extra post :smile:
(But still excellent ;) )

ayceejay

Guru
Before you go spending any money move your shifters up and back, lower your saddle ever so slightly straighten your wrists and bend your elbows,and try not too grip too hard rest on the fat part of your hand.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Agree with all the above - you probably are compressing your ulnar nerve in your hand. The ulnar nerve runs fairly midline in the palm of your hand and is prone to being compressed when cycling. On top of good set up avoiding too much strain on your wrists and hands and adding a good padded bar tape (or foam sleeves) I would also recommend a good pair of cycling gloves (track mits) - ones with plenty of padding around the palm area.

ayceejay

Guru
That's where we disagree mrandmrs, with the padding that is, I think too much padding, making a fatter grip tends to increase the problem due to clinging on. I am not against padding per se it's just that you loose the feel if there is too much forcing you to grip real hard.

sgl5gjr

I use Superstar Components Stems..... my customers like them too.... I'd go with the need for a shorter stem, Ladies are notorious to needing a shorter stem...Mrs Sgl dropped from an 80mm to a 65mm and is now comfortable and very happy
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ But any of the other suggested stems are good too.....

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
That's where we disagree mrandmrs, with the padding that is, I think too much padding, making a fatter grip tends to increase the problem due to clinging on. I am not against padding per se it's just that you loose the feel if there is too much forcing you to grip real hard.

Yes you can have too much of a good thing - but if the padding is used to reduce pressure on the ulnar nerve It will be beneficial (assuming that my guess that the ulnar nerve is being compressed is correct!)

vickster

Legendary Member
I have ulnar nerve compression as diagnosed with nerve conduction study, possibly linked or made worse by undiagnosed bone (triquetrum damage) . I'm using specialized bg gel gloves and super spongy lizardskins tape. Feels comfortable when cycling but pain has definitely got worse since I have massively upped the mileage. Going to see hand physio. Steroid jab I had a couple of months ago seems to have worn off :sad:

I don't grip hard but I do rest on that spot while riding on the hoods

Top Bottom