What are these supplements for (and other questions)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have had a box (race pack) of mixed (High5) supplements bought for me.
Most items are self explanatory but I Iook at other items and ask myself why? when?
My situation......if this helps.......
I am 68 yrs old and back into cycling this year. I have managed to build up so am doing 40/60 milers.......no great speed as my cycling is at "enjoy the scenery" pace e.g. 12-15 mph average.
I normally take 1 x 500 ml water & 1 x 500ml of (Holland & Barrett) ISO energy drink (for last 1/3rd of ride). I also drink 250ml ISO before the ride. And the obligatory jelly babies:smile:

Items in question are.........
  • IsoGel (instructions are......one gell every 20 minutes ???)
  • EnergyGel with caffeine (no instructions but I assume similar to above ???)
  • Zero Xtreme tablet (instructions......add to 500ml water)
  • Zero tablet (instructions as above)
I realise they are mixed so I can try/sample but some questions.
IsoGel.......one every 20 minutes.....for 5 hours ??? I would need a seperate saddle bag just for them :smile:
Zero tablets.........add to 500 ml of water.......when? how?............As I'm drinking my water throughout the ride I dont have 500ml left!!!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
You don't need any of that, just water .
Stop for cake if you want but you are not in training and you aren't an athelete.

Ajay

Veteran
They're aimed at racers and wannabes who want to keep their energy levels as high as possible during an event. If you're "just" going for a bike ride, not intending on a sprint finish and don't mind getting home feeling a little more tired than when you started then you don't need any of it!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You don't need any of that, just water .
Stop for cake if you want but you are not in training and you aren't an athelete.

They're aimed at racers and wannabes who want to keep their energy levels as high as possible during an event. If you're "just" going for a bike ride, not intending on a sprint finish and don't mind getting home feeling a little more tired than when you started then you don't need any of it!

I appreciate both comments although.............
At my age I will (within reason) accept any help I can get :smile:
AND........bearing in mind your thoughts.......when the instructions say "one gel every 20 minutes" can I translate that to say "take one if I feel I need it" ??

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I like the Zero tabs, mainly because I am not that fond of just plain water rather than any supposed electrolyte benefits. I don't find one strong enough so usually use two to give it a decent flavour.

Some folks reckon the gels can upset the digestion a bit. Suppose you can only try them. Think I would rather have a bar/flapjack type thing myself.

Personally I take nothing with me for up to 40 miles but quite like to know I have something for any longer than that just in case I start flagging.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Just done a 3 week tour averaging 40 miles a day. We had a couple of haribo now and again but stopped off for a break. You are getting caught up in the daft advertising that goes on around the fashionable sport we call riding a bike.

Keep hydrated and if you dont want to stop take jelly babies or a flapjack.

I appreciate both comments although.............
At my age I will (within reason) accept any help I can get :smile:
AND........bearing in mind your thoughts.......when the instructions say "one gel every 20 minutes" can I translate that to say "take one if I feel I need it" ??
I believe so, that's just advisory - it's not as if they won't work if you don't. Although I do agree with @Hill Wimp

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just done a 3 week tour averaging 40 miles a day. We had a couple of haribo now and again

Keep hydrated and if you dont want to stop take jelly babies or a flapjack.
HARIBO !!!!!
I think you missed the part of my post that said I want to enjoy the ride :smile: :smile: :smile:
My wife loves them.........I hate them..........after 47 years I have found we are incompatible.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what the others have said. You don't need any of that stuff.
I don't need them and (not to blow my own trumpet) I ride further and faster then you. OK I'm close to 50yo so a bit younger, but normal food & drink is all I (you) need for rides.
Use up what you have been given and forget wasting your money on more of the stuff.

Top Bottom