what Bike help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Megson

Hi Everyone
stumbled across this site while looking for a bike but it's a bit of a mine field. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice and point me in the right direction.
I am looking for a bike to commute to work approximately 7 miles ech way and also to lose a bit of weight so I am looking for a bike with maximum speed for little effort.
My budget is around £300 I'm looking for either new or used but quality used if it is 2nd hand.
I am also 5 ft 11 inch so will need a frame size of about 56 - 58 cm.
Thanks in advance for your help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-2016-85148.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html

There are two road bikes, you haven't said what style of bike you prefer so i went with speed and effort as requested.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll lose more weight with maximum speed for max effort, I.e. A heavier bike, but those are less fun to ride

A 58cm road bike will be too big (assuming that's the top tube measurement), try for size if you can before buying

Cyberknight has probably linked the best two new roadbikes for your budget. There's also the Ribble Prime but only available in 54cm which will be too small according to their size guide

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Megson where are you based ?

the others have made some good suggestions if its only a try out to see if you like cycling or not then go 2nd route loads of less than 1 yr hardly used bikes out there for well under £300

OP
OP
M

Megson

Thanks for all your replies

@cyberknight
I think I need to get myself down to decathlon and sit on a few see what would be right for me.

I'm based West Bromwich. I used to enjoy cycling about 5 years ago but broke my foot playing football and never got back into it. A few stone heavier and now an office job I need to get my backside into gear. I'm past the point of having a bike that looks amazing just want something that will get me from A to B a few times a week.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your replies

@cyberknight
I think I need to get myself down to decathlon and sit on a few see what would be right for me.

I'm based West Bromwich. I used to enjoy cycling about 5 years ago but broke my foot playing football and never got back into it. A few stone heavier and now an office job I need to get my backside into gear. I'm past the point of having a bike that looks amazing just want something that will get me from A to B a few times a week.

I think your first decision is flat or drop bars.

Flat bar bikes tend to be more upright, comfortable, and easier to get to grips with for a new cyclist.

On t'other hand, you cycled five years ago so you could be guided by what you rode then.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cheers all for the extra replies, i posted when i had just got in from night shift and i was not exactly awake so i think you have filled in the blanks i forgot :smile:

OP
OP
M

Megson

I have rode mainly flat bars but think drop bars would be more suitable now.
Think I need to pop down the local bike shop and try a few out before I buy

I have rode mainly flat bars but think drop bars would be more suitable now.
Think I need to pop down the local bike shop and try a few out before I buy

By what logic do you think that drop bars would be more suitable now, when it is five years and some weight since you last rode a bike that had a more relaxed setup and didn't have them anyway?!

OP
OP
M

Megson

Just because I am going to be riding it more than I used to and want to get riding a lot more. I just feel it would be more sutible. I may be wrong and gladly take on any advice

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Flat, drop, tbh I wouldn't fuss about this too much in advance. The bike you will ride is the one you're comfortable on, so you're absolutely right when you say that you need to get out and ride some.

Top Bottom