What chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
What is the best chain lube/oil to use. I've been using Finish Line Wet Lube which is good for when and if it rains. Is it better to only use a dry chain lube, although I don't want to get caught out in the wet?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
What is the best chain lube/oil to use. I've been using Finish Line Wet Lube which is good for when and if it rains. Is it better to only use a dry chain lube, although I don't want to get caught out in the wet?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Others will have more experience than me. I've found that my chain (Shimano Ultegra 11 Speed) doesn't seem to run as well with Dry Lube. So I tend to use Muc Off wet lube all year round, as it is sold by LBS. Recently picked up some "All weather" stuff, which seems to claim it can do everything. But, again not convinced.

There will be others advocating use of wax in dry weather, will be interesting to hear/read what others think

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
Hypoid oil. Very inexpensive compared to just about any alternative, sticks like dog eggs to a picnic blanket, and is designed to withstand the high surface pressures of diffs and gearboxes. It doesn't smell very nice, but if you're not in the habit of sniffing chains that's not an issue.

Now I've said my bit you'll have 683 people telling you what they personally prefer, thus leaving you no better off than before you asked!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As @Drago has put it's personal preference. Whatever you like someone will tell you theirs is better.

In winter I use Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube - it gets black easily but keeps the rust off.

In summer I was using Squirt, and still do a bit, but son no. 2 was sponsored by Interflon last year. Their lubricant's pretty good, so I've been using that for the past 18 months or so.

13 rider

Guru
Squirt wax based liquid for me keeps your drivetrain much much cleaner than a wet lube and a lot less faff than going down the full chain waxing route .
In summer I just one coat it but for winter I add a 2nd coat on top after the first has fully dried and have had no issues with it washing off during 7 hrs out in all weather

T4tomo

Legendary Member
for in the dry / summer / and for keeping your chain-line immaculate shiny and clean looking without the effort of removing chains and boiling in a tin type waxing and all that faff.....

Use Squirt wax lube.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Squirt wax based liquid for me keeps your drivetrain much much cleaner than a wet lube and a lot less faff than going down the full chain waxing route .
In summer I just one coat it but for winter I add a 2nd coat on top after the first has fully dried and have had no issues with it washing off during 7 hrs out in all weather

How often do you reapply it in the summer, for example?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Hypoid oil. Very inexpensive compared to just about any alternative, sticks like dog eggs to a picnic blanket, and is designed to withstand the high surface pressures of diffs and gearboxes. It doesn't smell very nice, but if you're not in the habit of sniffing chains that's not an issue.

Now I've said my bit you'll have 683 people telling you what they personally prefer, thus leaving you no better off than before you asked!

Indeed, but it is also designed to work with those contact pressures - the wear protection in an axle or diff is 'activated' by the extreme pressure. However, since such EP is not found in a chain/cog system not only won't the EP additives work but they won't be needed, so you still have a nice thick oil that will do a good hydrodynamic job and protect from corrosion, at the possible risk of personal contamination and a slightly whiffy chainset.

figbat

Slippery scientist
PS: I reach for whatever is to hand. Sometimes it is a dedicated bicycle chain oil, recently the Finish Line Wet or Dry oils, but sometimes I'll use a can of Castrol Everyman (similar to 3-in-1) or whatever engine oil is open or even a bottle of fork oil.

presta

Guru
I always used to use engine oil, just because there's a can of it on the shelf in the garage, but when I started touring I bought some Finish Line because I liked the convenient size of the bottle for packing in the pannier. I've continued using it because the bottles have proved themselves reliably leak proof.

I oil the chain after the bike's been serviced, and if and when I notice it's dry after a downpour.

Top Bottom