What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stuck my sodding Garmin on the brand new out front mount with electrical tape, after 60 miles of a 128 mile sportive. The brand new mount from Garmin, rattled to bits (where the twist mount is - both bolts rattled out within 2 miles) - my fault for not checking I suppose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stuck my sodding Garmin on the brand new out front mount with electrical tape, after 60 miles of a 128 mile sportive. The brand new mount from Garmin, rattled to bits (where the twist mount is - both bolts rattled out within 2 miles) - my fault for not checking I suppose.

New bolts fitted today !

Jameshow

Veteran
Went to tighten up the cones on the Cannondale wheels when was ok until I tried to put the wheel back into the frame and the qr is solid and due to the cone nuts being tighter the qr lever is now slack! Help any ideas?!

What's best to free up a stuck qr?

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Managed a fettling session yesterday - which resulted in two of the four bikes currently on the fleet being no less broken than when I started and a third also broken :wacko:

Gas Pipe Hybrid got the back wheel removed and stripped down enough to remove a spoke, so I could measure and order correct size replacements. This involves removing the rear axle on account my cassette removal tool is desined to slow into a QR axle and this bike has solid axles. Hopefully, I'll find the time next weekend to install new spokes and recommission the bike.

Next on the list was fixing the front derailleur shifting on the MTB I'd bought from @Buck of this parish. This bike otherwise works perfectly and I think anyone could be excused for not noticing how frayed that cable was as the routing well obscures it. I went to replace the cable, thinking that was the cause of the poor shifting but as I did I put the shifter through it's paces and realised there was something wrong with the ratchet mechanism which is why the chain wouldn't stay on the big ring unless you attempted to shift 3/4/5 times. That could have broken on my watch given that I've been using the bike a lot the last few weeks.

Finally bike for a once over was a B'twin Riverside 120 I'd bought for £20. First cursory look at it; headset was loose. Managed to rectify that, but will go back and clean/re-grease it another day. It's been a while since I've used my old headset spanners! The brakes on this thing are terrible. The bits on the Vee-brakes that retain the noodles are quite well deformed and scarely retain the noodles anymore. The levers are plastic, which means that when you brake they bend. Not ideal. Best course of action here I think is to replace the brakes and levers with some half decent ones.

The front wheel is worn down the wear indicator, so I'll source a cheap new wheel for it. The bearings seem shot too. The rear wheel has plenty of life left in it so that hub will get a strip/regrease. The tyres are severely dry rotted so they will have to be replaced too.

After that, I looked at the drive train. The chain is rusty. I'm not sure about the rear cassette, that might be salvageable. The bottom bracket seems okay but the chainset is a bit special. It has plastic cranks with a horribly wide Q-factor that I know will cause me knee pain. Not only that, but the 1-by chain ring is somehow pressed on and doesn't look easily replaceable. Oh, it's horrendously bent.

The challenge is to get this Riverside safe to ride and usable as cheaply as possible. So I'll be trawling eBay for good serviceable parts in the near future.

buzz22

Über Member
20240506_113930.jpg

20240506_113945.jpg

20240506_113938.jpg

My old Cannondale R300 received a brifter conversion. It originally ran 7 speed downtube shifters, now it has one of each.
The front derailleur retains the downtube shifter as I'm not a fan of indexed fronts and the rear derailleur is now shifted by brifter.

Last edited:

EckyH

Trued the new rear wheel for the Enik Makalu. So it will get two "identical" wheels (for the record: the rear wheel is with a rear hub, the front wheel with a front hub ;) ) and my inner Adrian Monk can calm down. Additionally the new rims (Mavic A319) are wider than the current rims, so the old trekking bike will become more gravely than cyclocrossy.

E.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
20221220_105711~2.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Went to tighten up the cones on the Cannondale wheels when was ok until I tried to put the wheel back into the frame and the qr is solid and due to the cone nuts being tighter the qr lever is now slack! Help any ideas?!

What's best to free up a stuck qr?

You want a bit of slack in bearing which is removed as the QR cams when closing. Undo the nuts a fraction.

EckyH

Put the new wheel set with Mavic A319 rims into the Enik Makalu with wider tires, surgically removed aluminium chips from the brake pads and changed the saddle.
And: the front brake doesn't squeal any more, at least on the short test ride I did.

E.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Edit to the above:

A test-ride this morning confirmed what I remember was an issue last year; the Fizik Nisene mountain bike saddle no longer fits comfortably. I remember it being a problem last year and deciding it'd get changed as part of the bike upgrade, which hasn't happened yet because I'm still internally arguing whether it's an upgrade to the current 10-speed set-up or an upgrade to 11-speed.

So ... I've pinched a 128mm Bontrager Paradigm saddle from the Merida Scultura Zwift bike, swapping that with a yellow Fabric Elite saddle I'd bought for the Merida Cyclo-Cross but didn't match the yellow on that. But ... it does match the Scultura's Lime Green - it'd been mis-described. And the Bontrager saddle's on the Ridgeback.

No more squishy mountain bike saddle on long audaxes for me :sad:. Hopefully the Bontrager one will be OK.

Top Bottom