What is a Mountain Biker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

Runs deep in the forum?

Dude, you are just making this bollocks up now and this thread was designed to be about you blowing your own trumpet (or possibly something else) from word one.

Wait...hang on.

Spinners old chap!

Welcome back.

Bullshit. Someone should not need to be good, to be allowed to ride or purchase a better bike. If they have they money to spend (regardless of how avalible it actually is) then why can't they?

If I had the money I would spend £2k on a hardtail and ride it like 10 times a year and not give a crap what anyone said, but since I am a bit more sensible my £600 ish will do.

Hint: Irony, like coppery or silvery but with more iron.

G-Zero

Über Member

At the risk of going back on topic, a few years ago there was a real Mountain Biker riding around Cumbria.

I was on foot, close to Striding Edge on Helvellyn in crap visibility, freezing temperatures and walking in a couple of inches of snow. I had ice axe and crampons at the ready in case 'the edge' and above was icy and I came across MTB tracks in the snow. FFS !! - I could hardly believe my eyes.

I never saw the bike or rider, but if you're on this forum - you have my respect :becool:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What a waste of time, do not know why i even bothered ready this, he rides a bike, that's good enough for me, i ride both mtb and road, i don't care if some one is better or worse i enjoy what i do,
i think some one needs to get a life,

OP
OP
M

Muddy Ground

I quote: "The cyclist is the all-rounder and perhaps the better person" and "To me he's a proper cyclist" - how does this translate to my thinking I'm better? It doesn't does it? I stated quite clearly that he's a proper cyclist and a better person - I wasn't attacking him or 'dissing' his chosen mode of transport. Where did you all get that from!

The posted article said what I was trying to say quite nicely.

Bye bye.

lukesdad

Off road is about grin factor. Whatever floats your boat. I talk to all manor of idiots on the trail, and they talk to me :blush:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com

At the risk of going back on topic, a few years ago there was a real Mountain Biker riding around Cumbria.

I was on foot, close to Striding Edge on Helvellyn in crap visibility, freezing temperatures and walking in a couple of inches of snow. I had ice axe and crampons at the ready in case 'the edge' and above was icy and I came across MTB tracks in the snow. FFS !! - I could hardly believe my eyes.

I never saw the bike or rider, but if you're on this forum - you have my respect :becool:

I went up Helvellyn on foot via Striding edge in April last year. There were loads of mountain bikers up there, there is a trail that is bikeable via the Hostel at Glenridding but I think you'd spend 30% of it off the bike, the rocks are too big to cycle over.

Striding Edge would be impossible to cycle even in this weather

6013672925_73acceb615_b.jpg

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I went up Helvellyn on foot via Striding edge in April last year. There were loads of mountain bikers up there, there is a trail that is bikeable via the Hostel at Glenridding but I think you'd spend 30% of it off the bike, the rocks are too big to cycle over.

Striding Edge would be impossible to cycle even in this weather

6013672925_73acceb615_b.jpg

Never say impossible!!!! Someone is bound to try it now :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Back in the late 80s and the 90s my brother and I used to carry our bikes (full rigid, no suspension) up mountains and then ride them through and down them. We came to mountain biking from a mountaineering background so for us it was a natural progression. In winter we would use touring skis instead of bikes.

I've tried a couple of trail centres and found them boring, repetitive and littered with wrappers and plastic bottles bought from the trail centres. Despite that the people who go round and round the routes are still mountain bikers in my book because they ride mountain bikes.

Never say impossible!!!! Someone is bound to try it now :biggrin:

Striding or Swirrel Edge on with a bike would be a carry but I've "ridden" Helvellyn from Ambleside to Keswick - up Green Tongue to Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Watson's Dodd and down to the Old Coach Rd. Bit of a carry in parts, particularly coming down off Lower Man but surprisingly rideable a lot of the way. Also done it from Glenridding which is a bit of a carry up.

Riding in fresh snow is in many ways easier in that it fills in and over the rocks.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Striding or Swirrel Edge on with a bike would be a carry but I've "ridden" Helvellyn from Ambleside to Keswick - up Green Tongue to Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Watson's Dodd and down to the Old Coach Rd. Bit of a carry in parts, particularly coming down off Lower Man but surprisingly rideable a lot of the way. Also done it from Glenridding which is a bit of a carry up.

Riding in fresh snow is in many ways easier in that it fills in and over the rocks.

Once again I say never say impossible as somebody will try - That does not mean they will succeed.

Top Bottom