What needs changing on bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So! You’re a bike component company designer with thousands to spend on R&D , looking for something to change on components to make existing components obsolete, what do you turn your attention to?
For me it would be the pedal to crank fixing, unchanged for donkey’s years, yet basically a bad design just good enough with steel cranks but which has led to thousands of broken Al. alloy cranks and grazed knees over the years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A tyre which is puncture proof, light, has very low rolling resistance, is very comfortable, durable, easy to fit, and is affordable!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not a lot tbh as it's mostly been done (and over-done in many cases). I'd like to see more serviceability in certain components, such as STI shifters. I'd also like to see more cross-compatability to allow more choice as to format for consumers (I'd like to run a triple crankset with hydro brakes and STIs, but that's basically impossible).

I think the Shimano Hollowtech crank format is a pretty good standard tbh; the tertiary issue of delaminating bits notwithstanding.

Otherwise I think the industry needs to be realistic and accept that you can't keep re-inventing the wheel, no matter how much the marketing monkeys might disagree. Sadly I think the market is littered with attempts to do so leaving it festooned with assorted, obsolete and inferior standards that do no favours to anyone other than those profiting off their initial sale.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So! You’re a bike component company designer with thousands to spend on R&D , looking for something to change on components to make existing components obsolete, what do you turn your attention to?
For me it would be the pedal to crank fixing, unchanged for donkey’s years, yet basically a bad design just good enough with steel cranks but which has led to thousands of broken Al. alloy cranks and grazed knees over the years.
You're wasting your time mate. Most on here are luddites who won't change to a Hollowtech chain set and would still rather have the old square taper :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
ABS.

presta

Guru
Otherwise I think the industry needs to be realistic and accept that you can't keep re-inventing the wheel, no matter how much the marketing monkeys might disagree. Sadly I think the market is littered with attempts to do so leaving it festooned with assorted, obsolete and inferior standards that do no favours to anyone other than those profiting off their initial sale.
This. Most cycle development has been about marketing for years.
An efficient regenerative power system
The efficient way is to avoid braking.
In fact, I might patent that!
Too late.

Tom B

Guru
An efficient regenerative power system to provide power to batteries, or whatever else I may need it for.

I was only wondering yesterday if a bike with regenerative braking exists..

You're wasting your time mate. Most on here are luddites who won't change to a Hollowtech chain set and would still rather have the old square taper :laugh:

nowt wrong with square taper.

From me I just want simplification and cross compatibility.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Any half decent bike will get you around cheaply and efficiently if it is well-maintained and fits, and you have some fitness and understanding of how to cycle safely.

Because of this I'd like to see retailers putting effort into a simple bike fit, offering affordable maintenance plans and beginner's training to get people past the barriers that result in bikes ending up unused.

Top Bottom