what punture repair kit ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

Im looking for some recommendations as to what type/brand of punture repair kit.
iv just had a puncture and for the first time in ages I didnt have a spare tube so I decided to break out my new ralligh scabs iv heard a lot of people talk about scabs so I had got myself some a couple of months back. I sat down read the instructions and did just as it said I popped the innertube back in and as I was levering the last bit of tier over the rim I heard the dreaded hiss as I pinched the innertube so patch 2 applied refitted without nipping the innertube then I look and its flat again . When I looked the 1st patch had come loose so I removed it re-sanded it and a new patch aplied and held for 2min instead of the 30sec it says in the instructions. Once again within 10min the innertube was flat this time both the patches were loose. Im not inflateing the tier before fitting and the area was clean and dry. Im now on patches 4 and 5 this time iv put a washer on the patches and then clamped it into place ill try it in half hour to see if its worked this time. It was lucky I was at home this time but what I need is a good quality kit that actually works

stuee

nxn2020

I use these, had loads of punctures in my original specialized tyres on my Allez until I changed to gator skins, not had one since! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-puncture-repair-kit-super-patch/

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just go to your LBS and ask them for a puncture kit. It will come with tyre levers, patches, glue, and some still have chalk and sandpaper. Also, buy a spare tube or two and keep them with you. It is much easier to repair a puncture at home than on the roadside.:bicycle:

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

I have some scabs so I scratch them. As for puncture repair kits, just buy the cheapest. By the way @stuee147 you really need a new spell checker!
I know and I do apologise Im useing my pad today and the spell checker is rubbish I prefer the one on my laptop it works, lol
I have ordered a couple of spare innertubes but I do like patches when they work im used to the old glue on patches but normally the glue dries in the tube thats why I like the idea of pre-glued ones

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
+1 for Rema TipTop. The one you want for road (skinny) tubes is the TT04 Sport, as the patches are more appropriately sized, and so won't unnecessarily wrap half way around the tube.
http://www.rematiptop.com/part.php?pid=57&cid=5&sid=4

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

i can remember as a kid we used to have a square of patch material that we just cut to size that saved all the hassle of getting patches of all different sizes. dose anyone know if they are still about ?

i also remember a few times using a bit of old inner tube as a patch they worked well and we used to cut them to fit the holes lol.
I use these, had loads of punctures in my original specialized tyres on my Allez until I changed to gator skins, not had one since! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-puncture-repair-kit-super-patch/
i think iv seen them gator skins are they the puncture proof tires ? or am i getting mixed up with something else

iv seen these gell things that you spray into the inner tube and its supposed to stop the tier going down if there is a puncture or something. i can remember years ago having something similar for a car but you sprayed it in after you got a flat and then re-inflated the wheel and it was fixed but only tempory it was something like a max of 50 miles to run on it as it was only really made to get you to a garage.
has anyone used the new stuff thats around and if so how are you finding it ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 for Rema Tip-Top but I like the Touring as for the glue never had a problem as long as the cap is on tight, and there's no "bogeys" of glue or trapped air in the tube of glue. The one criticism I could make is the crap, tiny piece of sandpaper in the box but I've got rolls of most grit at home. :biggrin:

Teuchter

Über Member
i can remember as a kid we used to have a square of patch material that we just cut to size that saved all the hassle of getting patches of all different sizes. dose anyone know if they are still about ?
You can still get this if you ask at a "proper" LBS. I got some and a big tube of glue a couple of years ago from Billy Bilsland's in Glasgow. Does the job. Sanding is the most important step I think though it sounds like you were doing that.

hoski

Veteran
Really do try the Park GP-2 Super Patch... they are truly excellent. They are often marked as a 'temporary' repair but I have never had one fail. They are much easier to apply as you do not have to faff around with glue. Just scuff the offending area with the included sandpaper and pop the self-adhesive patch on. Job's a good 'un.

In terms of punctures re-occuring - make sure that the whatever punctured the tube is no longer stuck in the tyre... it's easy to keep getting punctures from the same thorn/flint/piece of glass.

Also, you should never need levers to refit a tyre. I used to struggle with my current tyre-rim combo until I followed the method in this video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
... you don't need the toe straps/zip ties to do it, the principle of pushing the bead into the well of the rim really does make the difference required to fit tight tyres with just your thumbs.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

iv been out today and i got a new inner tube so im back on the road again ^_^ i also picked up some park GP-2 patches just incase but hopefully they will not get used lol

Really do try the Park GP-2 Super Patch... they are truly excellent. They are often marked as a 'temporary' repair but I have never had one fail. They are much easier to apply as you do not have to faff around with glue. Just scuff the offending area with the included sandpaper and pop the self-adhesive patch on. Job's a good 'un.

In terms of punctures re-occuring - make sure that the whatever punctured the tube is no longer stuck in the tyre... it's easy to keep getting punctures from the same thorn/flint/piece of glass.

Also, you should never need levers to refit a tyre. I used to struggle with my current tyre-rim combo until I followed the method in this video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
... you don't need the toe straps/zip ties to do it, the principle of pushing the bead into the well of the rim really does make the difference required to fit tight tyres with just your thumbs.

great video i like the toe strap idea i normally end up chasing the last bit all the way round the rim for 5 min before i get it on lol
i must admit i never used to use tire levers but now i have limited use of my left arm i just don't have the dexterity or strength to use my thumbs anymore but i think i will try using that method of pushing the bead into the rim and if i use 3 toe straps (1 that can be moved along as i get the tier in) i might be able to do it ill have a practice on one of the spare wheels i have.

thanks all for your help and advice like iv said i have the park patches and im going to get the rem tip top kit in the next few weeks so ill be covered

stuee

Top Bottom