What was your worst cycle and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
The aptly named *Beep*bike 2.0 The beep standing for something rather more risque :tongue:

A British Eagle full suspension POS with one working brake. Cost £5 off ebay, I ran it as a singlespeed for a glorious 2 days before the rear tyre exploded. Still, it's cheaper than bus fare.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My worst was definitely the racer lookalike I had for my 6th birthday. The cranks couldn't be tightened up properly so they moved around making it horrible to pedal, the bottom bracket was stiff and so was the brake mechanism which resulted in my first proper crash and a dislike of using drop bars ever since.

The next worst was probably my Apollo Excel - a misnomer if ever there was one!

To set the scene, I keep a cheap bike for use in inclement conditions, trips into town and general larking about. My previous knockabout bike needed repairs and tallying up the parts prices I was going to have to spend at least £80 to make it useable again. Wandering round Halfords I spotted the dual suspension Excel which was on sale for £60. I'd never tried a suspension bike at this point and at that price it seemed a no-brainer so I got it. I never managed to set it up so it was comfortable to ride and the brakes supplied with it were so poorly made they were bordering on dangerous.

Surprisingly I stuck with it for 5 years :crazy:(once the V-brakes were replaced) but eventually the drivetrain and rims wore out and the forks developed a worrying amount of play so I had to replace it.

The new one (Hawk Trakatak) is nice to ride but I've had to replace a lot of parts due to breakages. Can't win them all I suppose.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a mountain bike type for my daughter about 7 years ago, she still has it. I can honestly it's the heaviest bike that i've ever lifted, it must weigh 45lb! It was reduced from about £275 to half price, so i bought it and it's still here. :ohmy:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Worst bike was a Raleigh Firebird MTB, it wasn't bad in terms of it's quality, but it was so heavy it had it's own gravitational field. Anything more than flat was a nightmare. But the time I got rid of it I think only the paint was holding the rust together.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Dogma.... Although its stunning to look at, It's a bike which I never really enjoyed riding. I never felt the bike was exceptionally stiff or responsive, but the worst thing about ownership is everyone has an opinion about it. Other owners seem to believe that you have joined some special Italian club and see the bike as being something super special.
Likewise people who are not owners seem to have an opinion about it. Your either placed in the privileged category or sky team wannabe. When in a rush to get home I have also previously ridden down canal towpaths, you do this on a dogma and you get looks and comments usually reserved for people throwing a bag full of puppy dogs in the water.
I could not personally care less what people ride as log as they enjoy it and are pleasant company, but for some reason people care and voice their opinions more when your riding a dogma. I never get the same experience riding s-works or look.

pepecat

My worst ride was an old crappy (dawes, possibly?) folding bike which i had when i was about 12 -13. It had a permanent slow puncture (or three) and dynamo lights and was just.......awful. I hated it.
Then i got a brand new 5 speed drop handlebar raleigh topaz....... probably my best bike!

Wardy

My worst was one from Currys back in the late 60's. Must have been made from reinforced gas pipe I think. Brakes failed coming down a snow-covered hill on the road around Loch Katrine (Trossachs) with a sharp bend ahead over a stone bridge, so had to lay it down at the last moment resulting in a bent crank which fouled the left chainstay. Long walk back to civilisation....

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Dogma.... Although its stunning to look at, It's a bike which I never really enjoyed riding. I never felt the bike was exceptionally stiff or responsive, but the worst thing about ownership is everyone has an opinion about it. Other owners seem to believe that you have joined some special Italian club and see the bike as being something super special.
Likewise people who are not owners seem to have an opinion about it. Your either placed in the privileged category or sky team wannabe. When in a rush to get home I have also previously ridden down canal towpaths, you do this on a dogma and you get looks and comments usually reserved for people throwing a bag full of puppy dogs in the water.
I could not personally care less what people ride as log as they enjoy it and are pleasant company, but for some reason people care and voice their opinions more when your riding a dogma. I never get the same experience riding s-works or look.

Funny, I've never had any comments whilst out on mine. Admittedly I wouldn't ride it down a canal path, but people don't seem to look at me funnily or make comments, not even got a "nice bike mate" comment. Maybe it's your area, as there are a fair few Pinarello's round near me, what with one of the largest Pina dealers being in Birmingham.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I thought my Raleigh chopper was brilliant, too. Here in the States, most kids had Schwinn Stingrays, closely akin to riding an actual pig. The Raleigh was like a Jaguar compared to those ,and had the same cachet . On garbage day, I found an old girl's Stingray , fixed it up for sale , and my wife, who is quite short, hopped on it and rode it around like she wasn't 43 years old .

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Funny, I've never had any comments whilst out on mine. Admittedly I wouldn't ride it down a canal path, but people don't seem to look at me funnily or make comments, not even got a "nice bike mate" comment. Maybe it's your area, as there are a fair few Pinarello's round near me, what with one of the largest Pina dealers being in Birmingham.

Very likely my area, glad your enjoying yours, after all thats what its all about, enjoying cycling. Stunning bikes and having said that yours is a hell of a lot nicer than mine :becool:

fossala

Guru
Could you list the problems with that bike. I bought one 5 months ago :laugh:
I had the rear cassette eaten away in about 1 month in 2 gears. Wheels NEVER stayed in true. Certain bolts wouldn't stay tight without locktight and the bottom bracket wore out after 2 months and had to be replaced (pedals rocked from side to side).

My black Raleigh chopper with flames down the side circa 1979 it looked great so great in fact that some toe rag stole it along with my brothers bike the day after we got them for xmas. And it was chained up!

Top Bottom