What's that noise with each pedal revolution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does it seem to be coming from your bottom bracket? What sort of BB do you have? If not sure post a pic.
If it's a square taper could be the cranks or perhaps the pedals are loose, tighten them up.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Sounds like something needs a quick tighten up.

Does the creak occur when the pedals are in the same position each time you turn them or not?

Most likely to be one of the following:

Seatpost.
Saddle
Pedals
Handlebar
Bottom Bracket.
Crank
Crankbolts

My suggestion at this point is to go around the bike, and nip up any of the bolts you can see. This should cover the seatpost, saddle, pedals and handlebar. You can also undo each one and add a little grease to them.

For the Seatpost and saddle the best way to check to see if it is these is to see if the noise persists when you stand up and pedal or not. If it does, it's not one of these.

For the pedals usually they have an allen bolt head on the axle where they screw in (behind the crankarm) if not then you'll need either a pedal spanner or a thin 15mm spanner if you don't have one. I'd take these off and add a bit of grease to the threads and refit them. They don't need to be bastard tight just comfortably tight will do.

Cranks and crankbolts are a bit more of a depends on what you have, so pictures are a good help here.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Check that the crank arms are firmly attached to the spindle/axle of the bottom bracket. I had a Cinelli Experience that was only a few weeks from brand new. It developed a mysterious "clunk" at every revolution of the pedals. It turned out that the bolt that fixed the crank arm to the spindle was a bit loose, allowing a bit of radial play. It was easy to fix.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Sounds like something needs a quick tighten up.

Does the creak occur when the pedals are in the same position each time you turn them or not?

Most likely to be one of the following:

Seatpost.
Saddle
Pedals
Handlebar
Bottom Bracket.
Crank
Crankbolts

My suggestion at this point is to go around the bike, and nip up any of the bolts you can see. This should cover the seatpost, saddle, pedals and handlebar. You can also undo each one and add a little grease to them.

For the Seatpost and saddle the best way to check to see if it is these is to see if the noise persists when you stand up and pedal or not. If it does, it's not one of these.

For the pedals usually they have an allen bolt head on the axle where they screw in (behind the crankarm) if not then you'll need either a pedal spanner or a thin 15mm spanner if you don't have one. I'd take these off and add a bit of grease to the threads and refit them. They don't need to be bastard tight just comfortably tight will do.

Cranks and crankbolts are a bit more of a depends on what you have, so pictures are a good help here.

Ended up working 12 hours straight today so didn't get a chance to poke around the bike today but I bought a DURATECH 41 Pieces Bike Repair Tools, Complete Bike Tools Kit with Storage Box and some ParkTool PolyLube 1000. So that way I should be armed to do some poking and proding with the correct tools. I plan to watch some YT videos to get up to speed on how to check some of this stuff. :smile:

si_c

Guru
Usually it's just when a bolt or ten are loose there is a bit of movement and that is what you are hearing. A spanner and a little time is all that's needed.

Top Bottom