Whats your opinion on this little "fiasco"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louise

Was off a couple of days and while off work had a staffing crisis, they relised that two shifts were uncovered so they rang me I was out visting some friends the next day they tried again while I was out with friends then the day after they rang me in the morning I was in but didn't hear the phone nor was I aware of works attempts to contact me. Later that day I was busy in the bathroom getting washed and ready for my day when there comes a loud snd repeated pounding on the front door I was unable to answer it. When I returned to work it quickly became obvious that when work couldn't get hold of me they had sent someone round to knock on my door to try and get hold of me, when that failed they knocked my next door neighbour up to see if she could get hold of me. Basically the upshot of it was that they had discovered that these shifts were uncovered three days earlier and had assumed that I would be willing to change my shifts in order to cover them, meaning that when I returned to work I was asked without being given much option to say no if I would like to reuturn home and come back for the next shift, they had even gone as far as covering my shifts before they had even asked me whether I was willing to swap.

Brains

Legendary Member
Are you paid per shift ?
If so, then there is an issue.

If not, then they have changed your shifts, they have done their (genuine) best to inform you, but they really did not need to tell you.

Basis you are not paid per shift then all you can do is claim for the 15mins (or whatever) you were at work as TOIL and at a push the cost of getting to/from work

yello

I wouldn't go making too much of it. Sounds like a bit of a cock up on the scheduling front but at least they were trying to contact you. Try to be flexible and let your employers see your helpful side. Or, said another way, don't go coming over all awkward just because you can!

mangaman

Obviously you may be not keen to say what you do, but I think they are being unreasonable completely.

Unless you are expected to be able to available 24 hours a day to cover other people's shifts, I would be surprised if they could just change your shift without telling you.

What if you had childcare arrangements etc laid on.

I would check your contract to see if there is small print saying they have the right to change your work pattern with no notice. If so I would think about joining a union or consulting one if you're a member already.

Also hassling your neighbour (who I assume doesn't work for them) would seem an invasion of your and their privacy. It would irritate me if my work did it, as my neighbour may well think I was causing trouble at work.

Sounds like they're trying to shift their incompetence onto you.

Bman

Guru
Indeed! Under my contract (or is it HR guidelines) Only HR know my address. My manager doesnt, my team leader doesnt and nor do the rest of my team. My manager *can* request my address from HR, but only with good reason.

It would be completely out of order, for my manager to then "send someone round". I too would be fuming!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
When I was working, it was quite usual for my shifts to be changed at little no notice. However, I was paid a reasonable sum within my contract to account for it. I think it completely unreasonable of them to expect you to do it for nothing. And as for contacting the neighbours, that is way out of order.

OP
OP
louise

louise

Yes it is the NHS I work for (or rather a company contracted by the NHS) I am trying not to get annoyed as I don't want to damage working relationships and I enjoy my job. There were a number of others that could possibly of done the shifts but it appears from the outset they have assumed I would work the shifts.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You are on leave. You can be, and were, uncontactable. They should have other options for covering uncovered shifts, especially if they messed up the rota. It should not fall to you to be harrassed by phone and in person to bully you into covering their shifts. If all else failed for them then their manager would probably be required to cover the shift.

What if you were ill/had an accident/was on holiday and you answered the phone the first time? Would they have expected you to have taken the shift? Would you feel obliged to return home from a romantic weekend away to cover for them, or discharge yourself from hospital on crutches and with a drip to return to work? No I don't think you would and they should expect you to.

They became unreasonable after the second phone call and it then became harrassment.
They may have become worried for your well being when they contacted you neighbour but they had no reason to be concerned or to be there in the first place.

Apeman

Über Member
What they did was out of orderand deserved a good bollocking from you when back at work. Ihave 8 people under me at work and when they have time off it is time off! Obviously the twats who made out and checked the work rotas were blind in one eye and missing two brain cells(all of them in their case). Rule of thumb in future is to inform them that you are looking forward to your time off as you going AWAY AND CANT BE CONTACTED! On the other hand you can tell them to spis fof!

yello

I read a lot of people spoiling for a fight! :evil: Why? They cocked up, sure. It didn't read to me like they came over all heavy about it though. Seriously, I reckon flexibility is the key. Show some willing. If you're going to play hard ball remember that you might just get it back next time you're after some unscheduled and urgent time off!

Top Bottom