Whats your opinion on this little "fiasco"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Originally read this a couple of days ago and have actualy been thinking about it when out on my bike and you know what I would do?
Just don't worry about it!!!!:smile:

louise said:
Was off a couple of days and while off work had a staffing crisis, they relised that two shifts were uncovered so they rang me I was out visting some friends the next day they tried again while I was out with friends then the day after they rang me in the morning I was in but didn't hear the phone nor was I aware of works attempts to contact me. Later that day I was busy in the bathroom getting washed and ready for my day when there comes a loud snd repeated pounding on the front door I was unable to answer it. When I returned to work it quickly became obvious that when work couldn't get hold of me they had sent someone round to knock on my door to try and get hold of me, when that failed they knocked my next door neighbour up to see if she could get hold of me. Basically the upshot of it was that they had discovered that these shifts were uncovered three days earlier and had assumed that I would be willing to change my shifts in order to cover them, meaning that when I returned to work I was asked without being given much option to say no if I would like to reuturn home and come back for the next shift, they had even gone as far as covering my shifts before they had even asked me whether I was willing to swap.

gbb

Legendary Member
yello said:
I read a lot of people spoiling for a fight! :ohmy: Why? They cocked up, sure. It didn't read to me like they came over all heavy about it though. Seriously, I reckon flexibility is the key. Show some willing. If you're going to play hard ball remember that you might just get it back next time you're after some unscheduled and urgent time off!

I read the same...it just seems they tried quite hard to get hold of you...nothing particually wrong with that, other than the fact that after the first or second try, they should have maybe tried someone else to cover the shifts.
Not knocking on a neighbours door...why ever not ? We're supposed to live in a community. I certainly wouldnt mind if i were asked if i knew where my neighbour was...i know my neighbours would think the same.

That said, we're not all the same. I'm just glad i've got a more relaxed attitude to things.

kyuss

Veteran
I'm with Yello and gbb on this one. Lot's of people suggesting they should have had a plan to fall back on in the event of uncovered shifts. Well they did, the plan obviously being to call a reliable member of staff. Nothing wrong with that IMO. And I'd imagine it's also within their rights to tell you when you'll be working, not the other way round. They did try and let you know of the change remember, not their fault they couldn't get in touch. A tip: answering machines are quite handy things sometimes.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's working life for you. It's better than not having a job I can assure you.

Top Bottom