Wheel building stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loveandpeace1

Wheel building stand. Been using zip ties and bits of tape stuck to forks and chainstays but would like to try build with a decent stand.
All the best

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

OP
OP
loveandpeace1

loveandpeace1

Thanks guys. Would i be right in assuming, You don't need a dishing tool with one of these.
All the best

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Would i be right in assuming, You don't need a dishing tool with one of these.
I wonder also is a "spoke tension meter" a must ?.
All the best

You will need a dishing tool.

I don't know this particular stand but the Parktools TS-2.2 can give you a very good idea of the dishing (if properly calibrated) but it's not too accurate. The stand from the link is a copy of the Parktools so it's possible it does the same.

If you have a half a decent ear you can true by tone and by squeezing spokes of a similar wheel that is appropriately tensioned you can figure the final tension on the wheel you are building.

OP
OP
loveandpeace1

loveandpeace1

Thanks mate. I think its definitely doable. My biggest concern is spoke lengths. I have digital calipers and have looked at the calculators on line.
Perhaps if you or a member have built a few wheels you could just look at the final calculations.
All the best

.....not claiming to be a wheelologist, having only built 3 wheels myself. Strongly recommend you strip down and rebuild an old wheel to gain some experience. Tools required - spoke key. Upturned bike makes a very good truing stand. Dishing is achieved by spoke length and measurement. Try this link:

http://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator

In my experience wheel building ranks number one as being portrayed as some sort of black art that can only be practiced by seasoned professionals - utter sh**e.

Thankyou, I feel much better now........

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Get the book by Roger Musson from wheelpro.co.uk, it'll be the best £8 or 9 you've ever spent. Describes how to make your own stand and dishing tool. I made one for less than a tenner. The book also explains in easily understood language (no lingo, or black magic) how build wheels from start to finish, including how to work out spoke lengths and the website has a length calculator. You can't go wrong with it.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
In my experience wheel building ranks number one as being portrayed as some sort of black art that can only be practiced by seasoned professionals - utter sh**e.

I will say this..... people that try wheel building and end up with an egg shape wheel give the skill of wheel building the name "black art" I certainly encourage people to try and see how easy it is, having said that, some people just can't do it, or at least do it properly. Also, it takes a little more than building a few wheels to build reliable wheels though.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I will say this..... people that try wheel building and end up with an egg shape wheel give the skill of wheel building the name "black art" I certainly encourage people to try and see how easy it is, having said that, some people just can't do it, or at least do it properly. Also, it takes a little more than building a few wheels to build reliable wheels though.
I agree, when I said above you can't go wrong, I meant in respect that the book is well worth the money. Properly tensioning a wheel isn't easy, it takes time and patience and the more you do, the quicker you get, but it always needs patience. Sometimes it needs you to loosen everything off and start again, but that's all part of the fun.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I agree, when I said above you can't go wrong, I meant in respect that the book is well worth the money. Properly tensioning a wheel isn't easy, it takes time and patience and the more you do, the quicker you get, but it always needs patience. Sometimes it needs you to loosen everything off and start again, but that's all part of the fun.
Indeed, Roger's book is an excellent starting point.

I don't think it's difficult to properly tension a wheel but as you said, it takes time and patience and you must be methodical. Experience gives you the confidence on what you are doing and that in terms saves you time.

The beauty with wheel building is that you can start again if you make a mistake. I don't think it would be as easy if you were plastering a wall :smile: I have had to start again a couple of times..... once I didn't get the alignment of the valve hole and hub label correct and just a few months ago I managed to get 2 spokes crossing under the valve hole.... all it took was one lapse in concentration. The wheels would still work but I can't sleep knowing I made a mistake like that :laugh: and I'm not joking. There is a very popular wheel builder with some forum members that in his website had wheels with spokes crossing under the valve hole, the last time I looked......

....all I used was the spoke calculator that I linked, and the free video tutorial over on Atomic Zombie (no special/expensive tools). Brad does an excellent, plain talking demo, in stages, and it really is simple to follow. I still reckon grabbing an old wheel and rebuilding it is the best way to go to get all the hands on experience you need, or even just redish it rather than rebuild, then do a full rebuild as your confidence grows.

One thing is certain, you can't learn to ride a bike just from reading a book. You have to jump on it and fall off a few times until you get the idea, but a few scars are a small price to pay for so much fun........:okay:

Top Bottom