Wheels stolen...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
All of the ones I looked on he claims to have hardly ridden - "USED IT ONLY 2 - 3 TIMES" Why would anyone buy lots of cheap-ish bikes that are very similar and hardly use them?
And all suitable for men, women, girls and boys. If he's come up with a design for the ultimate, truly universal bike then he should start marketing it rather than robbing other peoples... He'd take a lot more than £35 a time for them...

BigAl68

Über Member
even if this person didn't take your wheels he sure has been busy. Scenario A) they buy lots of BSO's at car boots etc. Scenario B) they are on the rob and have a been getting rid on Gumtree.

Crankarm

Guru
I would just get your wheels by fair means or foul. Triple check they are yours. Keep them in your hands and don't let go, then call the police as if you let plod recover them the guy will probably become spooked and go to ground and you'll never seem them or him again.

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

Seems he/she deletes the ads and reposts the same ones periodically

http://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1074303520

I've ordered a set of wheels, tubes, tyres and a cassette from wiggle setting me back £150 in total, I'm putting that down as a stupid tax but still might contact the ad. I can always sell the new wheelset for not much of a loss if I do recover the originals.

Looking like I should be rolling again by Friday with some help from friends at work one of which has a chain whip & locking bits and bobs for the cassette. Good lad.

I mentioned it to the police as a strong coincidence and he noted it down and is going to get me the CCTV from over the road but I'm not really expecting much tbh.

AndyRM

XOXO
Seems he/she deletes the ads and reposts the same ones periodically

http://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1074303520

I've ordered a set of wheels, tubes, tyres and a cassette from wiggle setting me back £150 in total, I'm putting that down as a stupid tax but still might contact the ad. I can always sell the new wheelset for not much of a loss if I do recover the originals.

Looking like I should be rolling again by Friday with some help from friends at work one of which has a chain whip & locking bits and bobs for the cassette. Good lad.

I mentioned it to the police as a strong coincidence and he noted it down and is going to get me the CCTV from over the road but I'm not really expecting much tbh.

There was a seller up here doing a similar thing. I reported it and turns out they were a pack of thieves. Worth flagging with Gumtree if nothing else.

rliu

Veteran
If money isn't tight I would suggest getting a second hand bike for the commutes, preferably one that is visibly scruffy as bike thieves don't really undestand brands or product lines, just how new something is.
Less mass market brands or components also deter thieves as it makes it more suspicious when they try and sell things on.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
Now gone.

Hope you got a screenshot!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I make stainless steel plaited wires with eyes and grommets pressed to 20 tons for my bike. I can make them to the length I need. I use them to thread through the frame, wheels saddle and any bags I am carrying. It can be cut with bolt croppers but not with wire cutters as I found out when I fastened my motorcycle gear to my motorbike when visiting the beach, and then lost the key to the lock. I had to call the breakdown guy to bring his bolt croppers to release my gear.

The good things with these wires is that they are thin and coil up to fit on the palm of my hand and are not big bulky chains. I have never seen them produced commercially, but they should be.

I work on the premise that although there are gangs of bike thieves who go tooled up with cutters and huge bolt croppers, I think the vast majority of bike thieves are opportunists who will go for the easy targets.

Steve

Top Bottom