Which Carrera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zed73

After a few years of not cycling I'm looking to get back into it but will only be riding on cycle paths, light trails and a turbo trainer. My local cycle shop has recommended a Carrera Subway but they had a limited choice of bikes available. I've also seen the Carrera Axle and Carrera Crossfire online. Which would you recommend? I won't be doing lots of mileage and if I want to get back into mountain biking I have a bike for that...I'm liking the three Carrera's because they have quick release wheels and I do a lot of motorway driving and will be taking the bike with me. I'd rather put it in the car than trust a bike rack :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
Subways are popular budget bikes that punch above their weight, but you might also want to check out Decathlon B.Twin range.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Subway looks like a good bet. It doesn't have suspension forks and you don't need them. Spec seems good for the money. They've been much applauded on here Best bet is get down and have a look at one.

OP
OP
Z

Zed73

The Subway looks like a good bet. It doesn't have suspension forks and you don't need them. Spec seems good for the money. They've been much applauded on here Best bet is get down and have a look at one.

I've had a look at a Subway and it's a nice bike but they didn't have the other two models in stock. Also because I'm 5' 7" they recommended I go for the male version instead of the female to give me more knee room when turning. I'm happy with that as ladies versions are always a bit too girly and naff looking but is that something you'd recommend too?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you join British cycling, you get 10% off at Halfords all year, Plus more importantly legal and 3rd party cover. You'd virtually save the cost of the membership buying a bike

You could click and collect and get them get the right size in for you. Get the right size regardless of the gender marketing, just don't get a bike that's too big. Try them out

Halfords also have Boardman unisex and wsd, plus the Trott wsd bikes, which look ok if you don't want dull grey or black..or if you do lol

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/laura-trott-hyb-1-womens-hybrid-bike

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As I've said the Crossfire has suspension forks which are imo unnecessary and just add weight with little extra comfort. The Axle seems like a cut down version of the Subway. I'd say it's always better to spend a little more to get better quality components.

Rather than order on line I'd advocate seeing the bike and throwing a leg over it just to see if it suits you. You can then check out the knee room thing.

Top Bottom