Which coffee maker / best way to make it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,
I am after some advise on the best way to make myself a strong cup of coffee. Buy a machine? Which one - don't want to break the bank.
What beans? Grind my own?

arghh all I want is a decent cup of strong coffee...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to France and walk into any cafe.

longers

Legendary Member
Something like one of these? Easy to use and shouldn't break the bank - thats the first one I found.

I get a decent brew using the Lavazza packs of ground coffee. Tried most of the "flavours" and prefer the Gold myself.

Wolf04

My personal preference is for filter coffee. The machines are cheap enough. Buy an electric bean grinder and your set. Or even easier try one of the myriad of commercial blends out there. Taylor's Hot Lava Java will give you the caffeine blast you seek.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you go down the espresso route, make sure the machine can put the coffee through at about 15 bar pressure, or it will be poor.

avoid that groovy looking nescafé thing, the coffee's rubbish.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have a machinetta, like Longers suggested. And I am coffee mad (and tea). Mind you, an italian friend says of Lavazza... "Lavazza, Lavazza, e merda in tazza".. (it's sh!t in a cup) ... but I quite like it too :rolleyes:

bonj2

stove top espresso pot - one of these fellas:
moka-stovetop.jpg

they sell them in department stores like john lewis

bonj2

lavazza's quite nice, as is illy.

longers

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
Mind you, an italian friend says of Lavazza... "Lavazza, Lavazza, e merda in tazza".. (it's sh!t in a cup) ... but I quite like it too :wacko:

No accounting for taste is there? :rolleyes:

Rykard said:
Am I better grinding beans fresh rather than having grounds sitting around in the fridge?

ONly if you buy a very good grinder. £50 upwards. It makes a huge difference to the quality.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
what's recommended? I don't mind spending on a grinder as the stove top espresso maker doesn't look too expensive.

longers

Legendary Member
Try buying ready ground beans before you splash out on a grinder. My tastebuds don't know the difference - yours may differ.

Apparently you don't need to refrigerate your coffee* - keeping the air out is much more important.

*and if you do you're supposed to get it out the fridge five minutes before you brew up.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
I will grab some ground coffee tomorrow. Anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced outlet in Leicester?

Top Bottom