Which coffee maker / best way to make it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Well, firstly, it tastes better. Secondly, an espresso machine isn't hard to keep clean.

This is my point. I possess and have used a stove top Espresso machine for many years and used to spend money on expensive coffee, beans and ready ground. The coffee I am making at the moment is within a whisker of the best in terms of quality. I rarely drink a short espresso at home at the moment anyway, I prefer a large strong cup of filter (or two :smile:) in the mornings.

Monmouth coffee in Borough market do produce some fantastic coffee though, it is ones of life's little treats to go along with friends and family and have breakfast in their busy shop in the middle of the bustle of the market.

Danny

Legendary Member
To avoid ground coffee loosing it's taste you just need to put it in the freezer. It will keep for months!

U

User482

Dannyg said:
To avoid ground coffee loosing it's taste you just need to put it in the freezer. It will keep for months!

I'm not so sure about that - I freeze my coffee, but found that my espressos started to lose their crema and strength once the coffee was more than a couple of months old.

PpPete

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
I just use a cafetiere and the big catering size Kingsland ground coffee tubs from Costco. One of those lasts me about two months, it has an airtight seal on top but I don't put it in the fridge and the coffee is superb. I am just at the very bottom of the tin at the moment and the coffee still tastes great. Why faff around with more expensive stuff that needs to be constantly cleaned? My cafeteire is cleaned about once a month! xx(

I use a cafetiere - the one laughingly called an 8 cup model, which is actually just big enough for 2 good size mugs. Tesco's 227g foil packs - "french style" or " italian style" depending on what's on special, we get through 2 packs a week, so there is no time for it to get stale.

Result is rather like a French cafe "grand noir".

Rinse it out every day, and then once a week the whole thing goes in dishawasher - perfect, no faff at all.

We've several expresso machines and filter machines, none of which are used as taste is nowhere near as good.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Coffee maker for cycle touring

If weight is an issue becasue you are hauling around on the back of your bike....

http://www.facewest.co.uk/MSR-Mug-Mate.html

at 28 grams (less than 1 oz) is absolutely the dog's dangly bits.

We take one to the OMM, it's the only thing gets us out of the tent on the second day

Wolf04

Mr Pig said:
They should keep for ages if sealed up. But if you want to you can freeze ground coffee.

I keep my ground coffee in the bag it came in. I squeeze the air out and use a plastic clip I got free with some coffee to seal it airtight then store in fridge. Seems to work well although the rate I drink it, it doesn't get much chance to go off.

Danny

Legendary Member
User482 said:
I'm not so sure about that - I freeze my coffee, but found that my espressos started to lose their crema and strength once the coffee was more than a couple of months old.
I recently found a pack of expresso at the back of the freezer that had probably been there for a couple of years :smile:, but it tasted OK to me when I brewed it up.

However I suspect expresso aficionados such as your good self would have turned their noses up at it.

Top Bottom