Which is the toughest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are some legendary tough rides in the history of AUK. One such was the Crackpot, a very hilly 1000km within Hardy's Wessex. It ran three times, the last in 2000.

Supposedly even harder is the Maniac 1000, a permanent ride from Preston that takes in most of the northern hills. Then there's the poetically named Cambrian 10a, 1000km permanent through the mountains of Wales.

One of AUK's hard core of members decided to spend his hols testing which of these three is the toughest. He finished the Crackpot at the weekend. Currently he's on the road in Wales and reportedly finding it hard going. At the weekend he is due to start the Maniac.

Good luck to Steve on his holiday.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Look forward to reading about his adventure in Arrivee :-)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
At least he wont have to worry about the germans getting up early and nicking all the sunbeds by the pool.^_^

The endurance of some people to ride big distances day after day amazes me.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Steve has finished the Welsh 1000 with not much time to spare. Now he'll be embarking on what is generally thought to be the toughest of the lot, The Maniac 1000.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Well, how did he do?

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
He packed after about 600km on the final 1000. A combination of weather, navigation problems when his gps failed (due to the weather), and a lack of sleep.
I think to have got that far is verging on the superhuman.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just to set off on a DIY 200 and was whingeing that its raining here at the moment.When I think of what Steve went through I think I should stop complaining.

What an incredible feat of endurance by Steve.

Top Bottom