Who else is excited about Pluto?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pluto got downgraded from a recognised planet to something less a few years back. Hope that didn't upset the OP too much.
Downgraded to a Dwarf Planet less than six months after the New Horizons probe was launched.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They weren't known about when I was a boy.......:whistle:

Ah I see. In your scheme each of us has a different number of planets according to when we were born.

I rather like that.

Bit of a challenge for today's youngsters - especially if they have to learn all the names, presumably of the form KBO123 or whatever.

classic33

Leg End Member
How about the countdown clock/counter being set for the 14th July, 13:49 BST. The time at which New Horizons will pass within 10,000 kilometres of Pluto.
Carrying as it passes the ashes of the person who discovered Pluto, Clyde Tombaugh. Travelled 4.8 billion kilometres in Nine & half years.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Yebbutt, are all the other dwarf-planets, many bigger than Pluto, also planets then ? There are thousands of 'em after all

I don't know why the number of planets there could be in the Solar System causes so much angst. It was one of the reasons, if not THE reason, why Pluto was demoted in the first place. So what if there are a million planets going around the sun? It's only because we all grew up thinking that there were nine planets plus the asteroids that some people have problems accepting that there could be more. The thought that Pluto, Sedna, Eris, and all the other spherical objects that we're yet to discover and find names for are planets is no more difficult for me to accept than the idea that all the zillions of stars in the night sky are suns. The universe is big, after all: it contains a lot of stuff.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
MIss Goodbody hasn't been the same since she heard about "a heavenly body passing close to Uranus"

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't know why the number of planets there could be in the Solar System causes so much angst. It was one of the reasons, if not THE reason, why Pluto was demoted in the first place. So what if there are a million planets going around the sun? It's only because we all grew up thinking that there were nine planets plus the asteroids that some people have problems accepting that there could be more. The thought that Pluto, Sedna, Eris, and all the other spherical objects that we're yet to discover and find names for are planets is no more difficult for me to accept than the idea that all the zillions of stars in the night sky are suns. The universe is big, after all: it contains a lot of stuff.
Another 107 objects have the status "Possible Dwarf Planet", with a further 428 "Maybes" waiting in line.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3718571, member: 9609"]the other big anomily with Pluto is that it doesn't follow the same plane across our skies as all the others, it seems to have an entirely differant orbit.[/QUOTE]
Orbits in the opposite direction to most as well.

sidevalve

Über Member
Ah I see. In your scheme each of us has a different number of planets according to when we were born.

I rather like that.

Bit of a challenge for today's youngsters - especially if they have to learn all the names, presumably of the form KBO123 or whatever.
Don't worry - most of the little dears are more worried about what colour their next mobile phone will be.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
[QUOTE 3718571, member: 9609"]the other big anomily with Pluto is that it doesn't follow the same plane across our skies as all the others, it seems to have an entirely differant orbit.[/QUOTE]
That's not true. Pluto's orbit is highly elliptical - so much so that it can actually be closer to us than Neptune. But what's really strange about Pluto is its inclination. Whereas the other planets trace their orbits on a plane, Pluto orbits at an angle. But IMO Pluto's strange orbit isn't a reason to call it something other than a planet. I mean, the British drive on the other side of the road compared to most other countries, but that doesn't mean that the British don't belong to the class of objects we call 'people', does it?!

Top Bottom