Why are mech hangers not standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Drago

Legendary Member
Something to do with the old Social Democts and Emperor Hirohito. I don't remember the exact details, but they had a grudge and wanted to pith off cyclists for all time.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst the idea of a sacrificable hanger makes sense on some frame materials, sadly with the proliferation of different styles, It seems to be all about feeding the consumerist monster. Whilst there are those of us trying to keep our consumption down, that's not great for the manufacturers and this seems to be one way to build in obsolescence for otherwise great bikes.

For several years now I've been trying to track down some spare hangers for my Steel framed Kona Sutra LTD. It was built in 2016, but only a few years later the frame design changed and the derailleur hanger for these earlier frames became next to impossible to track down. I would love to still be riding this bike in ten or even twenty years down the line, but this is something could could potentially put a premature end to those aspirations.

SRAM has recently introduced the Universal Derailleur Hanger, which is an interesting development and potentially could save a lot of problems in the future, it just needs manufacturers to start building this standard into their frames.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 09.36.04.png

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I wonder if Shimano woukd adopt such a thing?

The Universal Derailleur Hanger?

It's an open source standard, so it's up to frame manufacturers to apply for a free licence from SRAM, then they can use it on their frames. Being as Shimano don't manufacturer frames it has nothing to do with them. The hanger also has the standard bolt thread used for all Derailleurs, so the customer can use any make of derailleur they desire on the bike.

Personally I think it's a great idea and it would be wonderful if frame manufacturers across the board adopted it, sadly I don't think they will. It's also not backwards compatible, so you still have the issues of thousands of bikes in use today with a myriad of different hangers.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Whilst the idea of a sacrificable hanger makes sense on some frame materials, sadly with the proliferation of different styles, It seems to be all about feeding the consumerist monster. Whilst there are those of us trying to keep our consumption down, that's not great for the manufacturers and this seems to be one way to build in obsolescence for otherwise great bikes.

For several years now I've been trying to track down some spare hangers for my Steel framed Kona Sutra LTD. It was built in 2016, but only a few years later the frame design changed and the derailleur hanger for these earlier frames became next to impossible to track down. I would love to still be riding this bike in ten or even twenty years down the line, but this is something could could potentially put a premature end to those aspirations.

SRAM has recently introduced the Universal Derailleur Hanger, which is an interesting development and potentially could save a lot of problems in the future, it just needs manufacturers to start building this standard into their frames.

View attachment 722572
Have you tried betd (8 search results for Kona, although none for the Sutra specifically), or Wheels Manufacturing (more than 16 hits for Kona, two for Sutra)..?

Looks like these two, and potentially others have taken it upon themselves to step up when manufacturers cease production. Seems they have literally hundreds of different ones on their books..

The universal idea is nice; it'll be interesting to see how that goes especially with hangers evidently becoming even more complex as many brands are also using them to integrate through-axles into the frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom