Why are they not a Pro Tour team bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sorry - more seriously

There are high quality manafacturer's who do live and survive by reputation and renown

The bikes used by professionals are free so they will use them, but if you look outside the sponsored racing, the spread of manafacturers and marques is entirrely different
Simple and correct. When you pay, you choose. When you get paid, you ride what the team supplies.

mattobrien

Guru
Storck were once described to me as one of the finest manufacturers of frames in then world, so they have gained some positive reputation. That said, my LBS explained that a significant stake of Storck had been acquired by Decathlon (or possibly parent company) and that they now had the pressures on an investor who wanted a return. They are stopping stocking them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Storck were once described to me as one of the finest manufacturers of frames in then world, so they have gained some positive reputation. That said, my LBS explained that a significant stake of Storck had been acquired by Decathlon (or possibly parent company) and that they now had the pressures on an investor who wanted a return. They are stopping stocking them.
Oxylane (the Decathlon parent) took a 25% stake in Storck two years ago. Markus Storck has 75%. That, to me, implies they'd rather he keeps on doing what he's doing (which is growing his business handsomely). It's an investment, not a takeover.

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
Maybe it's just a fluke that the crowd I cycle with has a number of Storck users (unfortunately the top end stuff is out of my range!) In my time cycling I've yet to see a Canyon bike on the roads & them now sponsoring 2 top level teams.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just been looking at the Storck brand, not overly impressed to be honest. Nothing attracts me to the bikes, they don't seem to have any real special feature set.
Each to their own. But I'd suggest reading some reviews, if you haven't already. Lot of very happy owners on WeightWeenies, for example, and they've had a lot of awards. Storck are one of the brands who don't bother with fancy acronyms, loads of logos, and all the marketing flim-flam. What they do bother with is making very, very, very good frames.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Each to their own. But I'd suggest reading some reviews, if you haven't already. Lot of very happy owners on WeightWeenies, for example, and they've had a lot of awards. Storck are one of the brands who don't bother with fancy acronyms, loads of logos, and all the marketing flim-flam. What they do bother with is making very, very, very good frames.

I read some of the reviews and people seem pretty happy with them. However rightly or wrongly I envisaged something really special as on this forum, they are mentioned as being finest manufacturers of frames in then world, and very high end bikes ridden largely by the kind of people who earn well over 100k a year among other things of substance.
I can see and appreciate the attraction of Parlee, Fairwheel Bikes, Factor and other premium brands even though some are not for me... Storck does has no attraction for me, but like you say each to their own :thumbsup:

eck

Über Member
Thinking about this, I wonder what attracts people to certain bikes and not others? For instance, I like De Rosa, Storck, Orbea, Pinarello (and I'm not even a dentist), but I'm not taken with Giant, Canyon or Trek. Is it just how they look, some "gut-feeling", a sub-conscious response to advertising or what? :unsure:

Svendo

Guru
In the past, Storck have tended to be a very high end bike ridden largely by the kind of people who earn well over 100k a year, train in the gym and ride a few sportives a year, only in good weather and preferably the more exclusive ones...
Yet I'm an increasingly impoverished mental health care worker, who saved diligently, can't really be bothered with sportives anymore, rides audaxes and commutes daily on it. Also built it up myself from a succession of top end but bargin parts. And the frame was a reduced ex-showroom one. On the other hand your stereotype is probably as good as any.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yet I'm an increasingly impoverished mental health care worker, who saved diligently, can't really be bothered with sportives anymore, rides audaxes and commutes daily on it. Also built it up myself from a succession of top end but bargin parts. And the frame was a reduced ex-showroom one. On the other hand your stereotype is probably as good as any.

All but two out my seven were built up the same way... no Storck frames though!
^_^

fimm

Veteran
Boardman also supply bikes to some top-end Ironman/Ironman 70.3 triathletes. Can't remember who and CBA to google.

AndyRM

XOXO
Boardman also supply bikes to some top-end Ironman/Ironman 70.3 triathletes. Can't remember who and CBA to google.

Pete Jacobs, Josh Rix, Drew Scott and The Brownlees.

Not sure if those chaps are all Ironmen, but Boardman knows what he's about when it comes to bicycle design. Halfords may not have been the best opening gambit for his bikes, but I don't think it will be long before he's taking on the big guns.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Waiting patiently to see if An Post CRC can pull anything out of the bag. The Vitus Chrono TT is starting to make appearances in triathlon (Lucy Gossage is emblazoned in CRC/Vitus logos)

The colour scheme on the 2014 Vitus Vitesse is sickening,but would pick one up over a Bianchi :P

Multiple bike of the year winner Storck or the likes of Boardman, Fondriest, sure there are a few other brands worthy of inclusion.

Boardman supplied bikes to the United Healthcare squad in 2011. Fondriest bikes have been used by a number of pro and pro-am teams over the years. Bike suppliers are largely decided by how much the manufacturer is prepared to pay to sponsor the team and the riders associated with it.

Top Bottom