Why do you R on FN ttC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
My first ride was in April 2010. I'm not sure why I signed up for this, but at the time I was getting prepared to do LEJOG as a celebration of my impending 50th birthday, so I probably saw this as a good opportunity to get some miles in. The ride was to Southend and will probably go down in history as one of the most problem beset rides ever. We had torrential rain, punctures aplenty, accidents, ambulances and finally a break down of the group that led to various breakaway peletons entering Southend in every possible direction. But, I met some very nice nice people including @rb58 who was also on his first FNRTTC and has become a regular ride buddy; I also thoroughly enjoyed myself and couldn't wait to do it again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not sure there would have been enough places along the way to buy extra batteries for your Never Ready lights.

I remember one day back then we cycled from Stourbridge to Aberystwyth. We were intending to take two days, but having made such good time to our half way stop, we pressed on. Long descents in the pitch dark on bumpy roads with sheep on them with nothing but a flickering yellowy beam to see by were a hairy experience.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It was young Andy ILB's fault. It's down to him that I do the FNR's.
On a Friday evening he would usually pop round to mine for us to have a natter and have a little fettle of his bike before me waving him off. He kept badgering me to join but it was always a no thanks - I did enough night riding on my commute as it was, was my excuse.
Well he badgered me enough for me to give in and him join the merry gang to see what all the fuss was about. It was a Southend ride in the summer of 2009. I didn't actually know what to expect though I had read a few ride reports on this very forum. I didn't realise when turning up at HPC that there would be as many people as there was. A few faces I knew and a lot I didn't. I was still a bit sceptical at this night riding lark, but as we rode on and the City turned into countryside the attraction started to hit me. 60-70 cyclists cruising down a darkened, unlit country lane, the only sounds are the tyres on tarmac, a few loud clicky freewheel's and muted, hushed conversations going on in the peleton. The brightest of moons and the millions of stars. Damn, why did I leave it so long to join in the fun.

You usually find me at the back of the rides now. Teccing, All-upping and asking people to get a wiggle on. A bonus of that is seeing the many red lights snake ahead in the distance. I never tire of seeing that. There's something quite magical about it

That very first FNR for me was also my very first SMRbtH. For me the anticipation of setting off with a few chums back to home matches that of the 'We are on our way' at HPC.

5 years, 35 FNR's and many new friends later I like to think I'm some sort of regular to the group and eagerly await March for the seasons first ride out.

hatler

Guru
PaulRide has it spot-on with this comment...

being able to drift in and out of conversations – nobody expects us to be articulate for very long but everyone seems happy to echange a few words on any subject

It's like an extremely informal linear drinks party, except you only get a drink at the end.

That is a fabulous line.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
There's sort of two questions hiding in the OP.

Why did you ride the first one ?

Why did you carry on (if indeed you did) ?

Answering the first question probably says more about the responder than anything else.
Answering the second question is likely to reveal more about the nature of the Fridays.

Sam, Do you want both answers ?

Either or both. I'm easy.

I see you've already posted - thanks. Thanks everybody else, too.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
...................................You usually find me at the back of the rides now. Teccing, All-upping and asking people to get a wiggle on. A bonus of that is seeing the many red lights snake ahead in the distance. I never tire of seeing that. There's something quite magical about it.................................

Get a wiggle on, as in speed up?

What sort of speed is expected...?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get a wiggle on, as in speed up?

What sort of speed is expected...?

Adrian answered well for me.
Sometimes due the genial nature of the ride and perhaps due to a mechanical, the back of the ride sometimes slows a little, necessitating cajoling those at the back to push on to catch up with the main peleton.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@ComedyPilot, I think about 11 mph rolling average is about normal. It gets slightly faster in the winter when only the super-athletes rule the dark lanes. It is most definitely not a race. Sign up. I very much doubt that you will regret it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ahh haa - I do 12-15mph normally, with little bits of 15-18mph, so I should be ok.......
I only started these rides last year and was surprised at how slow they were. I imagine some people may be put off by the lack of speed.
They cant be any faster or they would get to the coast far too early for breakfast.
If you tear off at the front you will spend an awful long time standing round waiting for thetail to catch up, so best to keep a nice slow pace and enjoy the ride. This is one of the best aspects, there is no need to worry about pacing. 60 - 70 miles in 7 hours is childs play.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But then again, the last one over the marshes to Whitstable was one of the fastest/longest stretches of non-downhill of riding I've done in recent years. I'm a natural dawdler and wool-gatherer - I generally never ride fast (or what I would consider fast) intentionally. Sometimes a hill does it to me, but that's it. But somehow I found myself at the front as we left Faversham, the pace quickened, and all of a sudden we were going quickly. As we were nearly there my usual excuse of wanting to keep something in reserve didn't apply, so I followed suit. I didn't realise that my bike went that fast. It was quite fun actually. Until I realised that my legs were falling off. Then I resumed wool-gathering.

martint235

Dog on a bike
But then again, the last one over the marshes to Whitstable was one of the fastest/longest stretches of non-downhill of riding I've done in recent years. I'm a natural dawdler and wool-gatherer - I generally never ride fast (or what I would consider fast) intentionally. Sometimes a hill does it to me, but that's it. But somehow I found myself at the front as we left Faversham, the pace quickened, and all of a sudden we were going quickly. As we were nearly there my usual excuse of wanting to keep something in reserve didn't apply, so I followed suit. I didn't realise that my bike went that fast. It was quite fun actually. Until I realised that my legs were falling off. Then I resumed wool-gathering.
That is a very unusual stretch of road though with magical properties. It convinces people, at least for 30 minutes, that they really are Mark Cavendish

Top Bottom