Why not post a picture of your Fixed/Singlespeed bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iZaP

Über Member
18238193_10155436684115209_1412385449260781454_o.jpg

This has had a few incarnations since I rescued it a few years ago. I stripped it down and had it resprayed to look like this
IMAG0280.jpg

Then a few changes to this
IMAG1534.jpg

Then finally to this

racing green.jpg

I cant see me changing it now apart from maybe some mud guards for winter as I like it a lot. its always been a favourite but this really suits it.

Alan O

Über Member
[QUOTE 4955260, member: 43827"]...plus the brakes on steel rims work well.[/QUOTE]
Do be careful if you go out in the wet. Many years ago I had steel rims, and the standard rubber brake blocks worked fine when it was dry - but in the wet they faded to nothing, totally useless. I did try those blocks with leather inserts (remember those?) and they helped a bit in the wet, but it wasn't long before I swapped to alloy rims.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A Raleigh Royal frame and a Brooks B17 - handy things to have lying around in your box of leftover bike bits :okay:

I have both of those in my spares box too.

(Well, OK, the Royal frame is hanging up on the garage wall being ornamental, and the B17 is attached to a non-rideable bike waiting to be reallocated, but it's the same in principle. Funnily enough, I have thought about rebuilding the Royal as a fixie but one of the chainstays is knackered.)

gaijintendo

Veteran
That was my single speed, I never rode it fixed, sold it, and missed it. I hope it's happy now.
IMG_20170106_115339.jpg

So I got the cheapest bike on gumtree with horizontal drops
IMG_20170915_165209.jpg

Stuck some drops, new brakes (including a rear one) mudguards on it, a less rusty chainring, a new tyre, tube, some BMX tensioners, then after this pic a Brooks saddle, some SPDs, new chain and a new front tyre.
One crank didn't like having it's pedal removed (and the thread), so that's a random suntour anodised job now. I have a replacement rear wheel, but it's doing its job, so leaving it be.
IMG_20171019_102959.jpg

I probably should have just spent more money on something better to start with, but we are best buds now.

Hadn't intended on the red white and blue.

Last edited:

addman100

Guru
20171015_153052.jpg

Felt Breed single speed cx

Picked this up for £250 a couple of weeks back. Only done 400 miles from new. Swapped out the CX tyres for some 4Seasons, fitted the mudguards last night, popped a bottle cage, bell and lights on there, and now it's all ready to be my first dedicated winter commuter. Though it's so nice to ride I'll likely use it on some flatter weekend rides too :smile:

IMG_5768.JPG
IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:
Picked this up for £250 a couple of weeks back. Only done 400 miles from new. Swapped out the CX tyres for some 4Seasons, fitted the mudguards last night, popped a bottle cage and lights on there, and now it's all ready to be my first dedicated winter commuter. Though it's so nice to ride I'll likely use it on some flatter weekend rides too :smile:

View attachment 382279 View attachment 382280
Nice! That looks like a brand spanker! I remember when mine looked like that.

Think about protecting the frame where the cables rub by using Lizard Skins patches or heli tape or something similar. Think about a chainstay protector as well (I wish I had done).

Nice! That looks like a brand spanker! I remember when mine looked like that.

Think about protecting the frame where the cables rub by using Lizard Skins patches or heli tape or something similar. Think about a chainstay protector as well (I wish I had done).
Good tips. It already has clear tape under all the points where the cables meet the frame. I'll get a chainstay protector ordered.

Do you know what all the frame eyelets are for btw? Apart from the obvious ones there are 2 on the drive side chainstay - possibly for routing cables if converting to a hub gear? Also one on the bottom bracket - same purpose? And two on the bottom of the downtube - I presumed for an extra bottle cage but you'd never fot a bottle that close to the wheel...bolt on partial mudguard maybe?

Good tips. It already has clear tape under all the points where the cables meet the frame. I'll get a chainstay protector ordered.

Do you know what all the frame eyelets are for btw? Apart from the obvious ones there are 2 on the drive side chainstay - possibly for routing cables if converting to a hub gear? Also one on the bottom bracket - same purpose? And two on the bottom of the downtube - I presumed for an extra bottle cage but you'd never fot a bottle that close to the wheel...bolt on partial mudguard maybe?
I don't know to be honest; I have nothing mounted on the frame so never even really looked at them. Maybe if you started a thread with a side on view of the bicycle and arrows point to the mount points someone will have some idea.

Wilson jr

Just finished my first single speed project. To say it was a bit of a pain bottom bracket/chainline wise is an understatement. It is an old raleigh shopper type bike. The old red paint and whatever they used to use as an undercoat was a pig to remove too. Used to have a sturmey archer 3 speed hub. Took a bit of fettling but I've managed to bring it nearly up to date. I think in total it has cost around 250-300 quid to get to this point but the experience doing it was fantastic. Now on to the next.
20171122_210820.jpg
20171122_210652.jpg
20171116_134746.jpg

Attachments

• 20171010_210024.jpg
    20171010_210024.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20171010_210648.jpg
    20171010_210648.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom