Wiggle Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newman8

Took advantage of a break in the storms on Friday to ride the 'short'(!) course for the Wiggle Cornwall sportive.
I normally do about 60 miles a week but no more than say 15 miles in one go - so 40-odd miles is a big jump up for me!
Hills were pretty hellish at times but actually got on ok...
42 years old: It's going to be my first ever sportive.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Once I've paid off the Xmas credit cards myself and @Phill Woods are using the short route of the Cornwall Tor as our first sportive as well- we'll see you there!
Glad to see you survived- it gives us hope!

OP
OP
Newman8

Newman8

Nice one.
The worst bit was the descent from Lanreath down into Lerryn. Poor surface, steep & narrow - scary when you get oncoming traffic!
Nice course really though - recommend it for a day ride any time.

helston90

Finally got around to booking onto this- just need this cold to do one to get out and put some more miles in.
At the moment I seem quick/ happy on 15-25 miles, it's above that things start getting tired.

I was very tempted by the Wiggle Cornwall, as I've not seen a lot of "t'other side o' land", but currently training for BikeBath, and will enjoy a daring training ride from Plym, Callington, Tavi, Princetown and back home, so slowly trying to see Cornwall (even if a little bit).

Have a great time though guys :smile:

OP
OP
Newman8

Newman8

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/96078766@N08/sets/72157639634838124/
Riding 'The Mullet' for this tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone else going...

Thought my 2nd practice run would be easier but was actually tougher if anything:
The hill straight out of St Neot seems to get steeper, the bends on the quick descent from Duloe to Sandplace come too quick, the hill down into Lerryn is scary, the hill back up goes on for ages & Bodmin hill comes with just too many miles under your belt!

Practice time was ok - would love to finish in a silver time band but need to shave a few mins off my best for that & the weather not looking good at the mo...

Will be picking up race number about 8:15, so may see some of you around there.

helston90

So how did you get on?
I had an absolute blast- thoroughly enjoyed it!
Got cramp in both legs around 6 miles from the end which hurt but still put in a push for the end.
Have a look here at my Strava for the ride (if this works) if you're interested.

And for anyone else who was there the bloke who hit the Land Rover 10 miles in is apparently doing ok- few broken ribs but will live (according to race organisers at about 12pm, not heard any different)

Barnowl930

I did this sportive as well (64m)

It was a challenge which I was pleased to have completed but probably not an event I would do again.
Way to expensive for what it was especially compared to the New Forest sportive I did a couple of weeks ago.
A couple of the roads we were sent down were far to small and dangerous.

One thing I did learn from it is that it confirmed I must get a new saddle, it was agony from about 50miles !!

helston90

A couple of the roads we were sent down were far to small and dangerous.
Glad I'm not the only one that thought this- any road with grass growing up the middle is clearly not designed for a ~1000 person sportive to try to ride down, asking for trouble and put a lot of people unnecessarily on edge- it featured highly on my feedback along with the lack of free food/ drink at the end.

OP
OP
Newman8

Newman8

Wow - great time Richard Helston - 2nd I believe?
I was 3:19. My best of two practice runs was 3:15 but actually on a slightly different course: 3 miles (& 2 nasty hills) shorter, as I had the route into Lerryn wrong & didn't account for the dip & climb on Lanhydrock estate itself, so fairly pleased with my time.

I kept a strong pace until about 30 miles but really struggled from there on. Just need to get used to the extra miles!

The roads were as I expected. Some of the nastiest mentioned are very close to home & I try my best to avoid them normally. I think a lot of people underestimate how hard Cornwall is for riding - I spent many years in Lancs & Yorks & find the terrain here tougher.

SWSteve

Guru
Completed the medium route, it was bloody hard. But I also thought that some of the roads were quite small and probably should haven't been used for an event of this size.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Well done guys, I didn't get chance to take part as my wife was working however did see some riders out towards wadebridge and also past my house in Roche

Hope you all enjoyed it! Will definitely look at a sportive next year down here

Top Bottom