Winter Hill - Horwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
It goes to the mast on the top and comes to a dead end, must be private. I've been up it on a mountain gike though, there's a great run down to the Black Dog in Belmont on the other side.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

stephec said:
It goes to the mast on the top and comes to a dead end, must be private. I've been up it on a mountain gike though, there's a great run down to the Black Dog in Belmont on the other side.

Yeah I know that I want to WHY its not possible to go ALL the way up to the top ?????????????????????????????????

I never used to be closed.

U

User482

Kirstie said:
I heard it was something to do with icicles falling down from the mast and impaling people. Allegedly...

Yes, there are warning signs to that effect up there telling you not to stand under the mast. I assume it's closed off because it's a private access road and so they want to keep maintenance costs down.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

I was all looking forward beating myself into submission - and believe me its one $%^& of a hill/mountain, the 1st bit i was, ok on - thats the hard bit, even though I was on 42-21.

I feel if a cyclist wants to 'beat themselves into submission' on the road why not let them though the prob. is going down and when you've crazy MTB'ers zipping around :wacko:

Sad really as its the best killer climb esp. after coming out of Wigan then Horwich !

trio25

Über Member
You can get all the way to the mast on a bike, if the barrier is closed you can still get round it. They close it to stop downhill mountain bikers driving up there. It is only a public footpath. They are also doing work on the mast, so you can't ride under it at the moment. But you can get nearly to the top on a road bike. I only went over it yesterday on my mtb so my information is up to date.

Top Bottom