Winter/Studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone use these? I have a Cannondale CX and was out on it this morning but conditions underfoot were not the best.

So, I thought I may invest in a couple of winter/studded tyres but for the life of me, can't find any suitable or in the correct size

Tyres are 700x38

Any recommendations and where I can buy them would be greatly appreciated! I did do a search but only found a thread from about 7 years ago!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes, was out on them yesterday. They are quite wide, so I'd be tempted to use 35mm if I were you.

Any sign of a frost and I'm on them, give you a proper workout as they are hard work.

Just a couple of sites that have them

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-winter-hs396-tyre-cw-spikes-700-x-35-35622/

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p1942/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Winter-Winter-Plus-HS396

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

albion

Guru
I sold my new unused 26" studded tyres here, by request, to Pat_5mph back in August. Surprisingly, supplies are still short.
Unlikely I will be using my minimal usage 700x32 ones again.

Problem is, the ice might be gone next week.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Any sign of a frost and I'm on them, give you a proper workout as they are hard work.

I sold my new unused 26" studded tyres here, by request, to Pat_5mph back in August. Surprisingly, supplies are still short.
Indeed you did.
I commuted on the ice bike (an old MB that I keep the studded tyres on permanently) one day at the end of October, then this week from Tuesday.
I should have used the ice bike on Monday too, but miscalculated the weather.
Unlikely I will be using my minimal usage 700x32 ones again.
Sell them to the OP?
Problem is, the ice might be gone next week.
Yes, but if you're commuting early am there could still be ice.
I use my ice bike for 3/4 weeks max (at intervals, when required), got to get to work in one piece.
I keep an eye on the weather forecast, on the garden's bird bath :laugh: even ask Alexa before setting out.
Changing tyres according to the temperatures would be too much of a faff, so I keep one bike for when it's icy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Schwalbe Marathon 365 are the same as Winters without the studs. Continental Contact Spike or Schwalbe Winters most available for studs.

Worth having a spare set of wheels with them mounted for less hassle swapping them over.

albion

Guru
Schwalbe Marathon 365 are the same as Winters without the studs. Continental Contact Spike or Schwalbe Winters most available for studs.

Worth having a spare set of wheels with them mounted for less hassle swapping them over.
I bought them too, for my ebike. I can assure you, they are vastly different. They improve on standard tyres but do not expect them to save you from ice.
I used the studded tyres about 3 times in 2021 for my then commute. The noise at least was very assuring on the big descent down to Team Valley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom