Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

In post #212 you clearly ask why it is inappropriate for a cyclist to go up the inside of a vehicle that is indicating left. It is also clear you are deliberately trying to be argumentative or just bored & have nothing better to do. I am personally fed up of your childish attitude so don't expect any further replies from me until you grow up.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
QED. Some things (shooting) are heavily regulated and even made illegal because of the danger they pose to the general public. But other things (unsafe lorries) aren't.

I don't have the figues to hand, but I'd hazard a guess that the operators of (legal) lorries have been responsible for more deaths and serious injuries over the last few years than the operators of (legal and illegal) firearms.
You really think lorries aren't regulated?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am personally fed up of your childish attitude so don't expect any further replies from me until you grow up.
coach-ergo-patent-handbag-pink.jpg

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3565320, member: 9609"]I am not wishing to preserve the status quo, not at all, I hate about every aspect of our roads, the total disrespect of road laws, the acceptance of the massive death and serious injured toll that as a society we weirdly seem to accept! even the massive destruction of our wildlife, people go out and feed the birds then drive along a country road at 60mph with the dam things stotting of the windscreen, the whole thing about motorised transport is just odd, and it all needs a complete redesign.
I don't think your idea for someone helping with observation is that bad of an idea, but I doubt any government would touch it with a barge poll, it won't happen, we need to lower our aim to something a little more achievable.[/QUOTE]

Sorry User9609 - that probably seemed more specifically aimed at you than intended. Your post just reminded me of something else. All the same, we cannot afford to approach the argument through the lens of what is already palatable to government/haulage/construction/motoring, because we need a fundamental shift in power relations on the roads. Lorries are not going to become safer unless we oblige them to be so.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 3565816, member: 9609"]It would be really interesting to see some statistics showing accident rates between drivers on piece work and drivers on set income. Some different suggestions on this thread how things could be improved, for me I would make any sort of bonuses related to work done in haulage illegal, nothing wrong with overtime but not pay per load - productivity would fall, but that doesn't matter if it is the same for all companies, they will just have to charge more.[/QUOTE]
What about taxi drivers? Less lethal than a tipper truck, still a menace on our roads.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Have been wondering recently if the Knowledge process is part of what makes cabbies the main danger on London's roads - I'm not sure that 2-3 years spent on a scooter looking sideways is the best training scheme for someone looking to drive a big car for money...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have been wondering recently if the Knowledge process is part of what makes cabbies the main danger on London's roads - I'm not sure that 2-3 years spent on a scooter looking sideways is the best training scheme for someone looking to drive a big car for money...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In general "black" cab drivers are pretty good - a bit lairy and prone to take more calculated risks than most drivers perhaps, but generally very safe to be around. The nightmare drivers are minicab drivers, especially now they all seem to be on self-employed contracts to Addison Lee.

srw

You really think lorries aren't regulated?
They're not regulated in the same way or to the same extent as guns. The opposite of "heavily regulated and made illegal" is not "not regulated" it's "not heavily regulated and made illegal".

srw

Read this

Follow where it takes you. You will see that you are arguing against something you imagine that I am saying not that which I am actually saying.
To coin a phrase - some people read what they want to read, not what they're actually reading.

(I should trademark that.)

Origamist

Legendary Member
New safer HGV cabs showcased

"The new vehicles on show today, with massively reduced blind-spots, show what can be done if people join together for a common good to solve a simple problem. We will continue our work to improve freight road safety in all aspects, be it collaboration, regulation, enforcement and lobbying, to create a Capital fit for freight, and freight fit for the Capital"
Sir Peter Hendy CBE
London's Transport Commissioner

More info:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/february/new-safer-hgv-cabs-showcased

Did anyone attend this event last week?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
New safer HGV cabs showcased

"The new vehicles on show today, with massively reduced blind-spots, show what can be done if people join together for a common good to solve a simple problem. We will continue our work to improve freight road safety in all aspects, be it collaboration, regulation, enforcement and lobbying, to create a Capital fit for freight, and freight fit for the Capital"
Sir Peter Hendy CBE
London's Transport Commissioner

More info:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/february/new-safer-hgv-cabs-showcased

Did anyone attend this event last week?

Encouraging slogan, at least!

B-yX6jlUYAEo1Ov.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Good find - I'll do some googling myself!

In the above image, if you look at the edge of the passenger door - it appears to be glazed at the bottom to give better visibility on the nearside.

I did a Twitter search for #clocs. There are some good images.

srw

Good find - I'll do some googling myself!

In the above image, if you look at the edge of the passenger door - it appears to be glazed at the bottom to give better visibility on the nearside.
Although to make the most of it you need someone in the passenger seat...

Top Bottom