Wooden Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotharko

I would like to introduce my wooden road bike.
Material: Air ply
Weight: 10 kg

1625853646276.png

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's beautiful. How does it ride?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Very interesting
x what is the flex like around the bottom bracket? I assume you bonded in a bottom bracket shell?

OP
OP
lotharko

lotharko

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wooden wheels, sprockets, rings and chain next :thumbsup:

Beautiful bit of bike art but other than that I wonder just why? Steel is just so recyclable, as is Ti and Ally, and whilst I think some of it would biodegrade that's really only the wood fibres and not the resins. Look fab displayed on a wall.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What is "air ply"?

Edit: is it a super quality thin ply for sheathing DIY bonkers small aircraft?

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
*googles*
*comes back*
Airply? This stuff? https://www.laminateworks.com/products/airply
I've been pondering something like that to make a Lotus look-a-bit-alike-if-you-squint, after I had a look at the construction of a Mosquito at the deHavilland museum at London Colney. They used a ply-and-balsa sandwich to get decent strength and stiffness.
Like I didn't have enough daft things to be attempting...

OP
OP
lotharko

lotharko

What is "air ply"?

Sorry, I should have written aircraft plywood. That is still an approved material for aircraft construction today. I use mostly the 3 layer 1.5 mm thick variety.
Here is the interior view of a box girder for my current four-wheel build. The girder has the dimension 1150x140x80mm. The top and bottom chords are 4.5mm thick, the side walls 1.5mm + an inner layer (XXX) for torsion reinforcement. Weight of the beam 1.5 kg, calculated load capacity 500 kg.

Kastenträger.jpg

Top Bottom