Woodwork advice please - picture frame finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikepete

Guru
Just finished the woodwork for a biggish (1.2m wide, 0.4m tall) panorama picture frame, and looking for advice on how to finish it. It's made from planed softwood from the local DIY store and is very simple - same construction as this mirror frame I made earlier:

mirror.jpg

I finished that one with several coats of danish oil and it looks OK... but I'd like the picture frame to be a bit darker, both to frame pictures better and also because the bits of timber I had for it have rather more dark-coloured knots which a darker finish would make less obvious I think.

Basically I do metalwork not woodwork so know very little about what works well as a finish. Varnish? Woodstain? Another oil? Wax? Any ideas?

You could seal it with French Polish and then finish it with stained wax.

If you use a stain it could emphasise the knots even more.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You could leave it in the sun for a few months and it will darken naturally.

If you get a stain then make sure you test it on a bit of scrap first. It can have odd effects on knotty pine.

Whatever you use carry out the whole process on some scrap first to see how the finished result will be.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are plenty of coloured varnishes around. Don't use gloss though; it looks naff and shows imperfections. Use matt or satin.

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
There are plenty of coloured varnishes around.

Yes, but take care as a lot of them aren't very good. Generally, I'd avoid water-based ones, most of them are sh**. They tend sit on the surface rather than soak in.

You coloured teak oils etc, things like that give a more natural look.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your house is very dry you might find that the softwood dries out and warps. The best way to avoid this is to give it three coats of varnish. I would avoid a gloss (as I wrote above) and go for satin or matt. The best satin varnish is Dulux Trade satin, which is fantastically forgiving of drips and runs and dries to a super smooth sheen. Rub down between coats and very gently rub down the final coat after it dries with wire wool or very fine sandpaper. You can buy Dulux trade products from Dulux Decorator centres.

As for the colour, I would leave it as it will darken naturally with time.

OP
OP
bikepete

bikepete

Guru
Mmm, thanks for all the suggestions. No central heating so don't think the house is very dry. Don't really have anywhere I could leave the timber in the sun unfortunately...

Will take a look in the DIY shop on the way home and see what they have... I like the simplicity of the oil finishes, might look for a coloured oil as Mr Pig suggests, and possibly coloured wax on top too... a sealer coat of oil would probably be a good idea in any case before any stain by the sound of it.

<puts on traditional woodworkers hat>

Try some brown shoe polish - apply with very fine wire wool and the polish off after leaving to dry a while:biggrin:

Do a little patch on the back, first.

Top Bottom