Worst Last Post, ever!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Sorry if I'm being a bit pedantic, but that bugle call is the Retreat, not the Last Post.
I played for many years in several brass bands and have heard various bugle calls played from perfectly to atrocious. On a scale of 1-10, I reckon I'd give this example 5. It can be much, much worse.

Bugles are notoriously difficult instruments to play well, and certainly lack of practice, intense heat or cold, and yes, emotion will affect the end result. One last factor is instrument quality. I don't suppose our army pay for top rank bugles these days.

On listening again, there are two bugles playing. Synchronisation and intonation would have been a nightmare.

Mrs ArDee played French horn and as GA said differences in temperature makes a difference to the pitch of the note. On a French horn, even minor temperature differences affect the instrument’s tone and she had to adjust her playing style whilst playing in a concert hall. So perhaps the heat caused the issues.

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

Gerry Attrick said:
On listening again, there are two bugles playing. Synchronisation and intonation would have been a nightmare.

You're watching the wrong video....not your fault..as the BBC have since removed the 3 minute video of The Last Post and minutes silence lest we remember.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
asterix said:
So glad someone else thought that (I am to music what Mozart was to football).

I think Wolfie was reputedly the finest left back of his generation and played many games as a lad for Salzburg Academicals:wacko:

I recently heard the Last Post played flawlessly by the local Fire Brigade at the Menin Gate but then they play it every evening so I suppose they should be pretty good.

Top Bottom