Yet another rant against cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People get paid to write that sh!t?

ohnovino

Large Member
Sentence 2: detailed description of what the cyclist was wearing and her exact actions.
Sentence 3: implies she couldn't see the cyclist because of a lack of hi-viz.

I think we have an early contender for the award of "Most Efficient Contradiction 2011"

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
According to Morgan's wiki entry, she is his wife.

"He was linked romantically to The Guardian columnist Marina Hyde, and his current wife is The Daily Telegraph's columnist and features writer, Celia Walden,[sup][10][/sup] who is the daughter of the former Conservative MP George Walden.[sup][11]"[/sup]

yello

I'll not bother reading it as I don't want my 'click' to be added to their count, which probably some how feeds into advertising revenue... which is exactly why such opinion pieces are written. I wonder if the journalist ever gets depressed at not being able to write a real column, or do some real journalism for a change. All those years at college, all those ambitions... just to churn out dross.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Sentence 2: detailed description of what the cyclist was wearing and her exact actions.
Sentence 3: implies she couldn't see the cyclist because of a lack of hi-viz.

I think we have an early contender for the award of "Most Efficient Contradiction 2011"

My thoughts exactly. You could also suggest that such a detailed description might have taken up observation time that might have been better used concentrating on not hitting other traffic!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Glad to see someone has updated her wikipedia entry with the following....

On 24th March 2011, Celia Morgan wrote a column in The Daily Telegraph expressing her hatred of cyclists, fair weather cyclists in particular. The end of the article read, "And of course this lot are so confident on the roads that they will all be plugged into their iPods, calmly humming "lalalalala" along to Sasha Distel as that articulated lorry indicates left." This was seen as bad taste due[sup][3][/sup] to the article being published in the same week that a cyclist in central London had been killed by a HGV, and six other cyclists being killed by HGVs since the beginning of the year.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
it would be much more helpful if people didn't respond or share links to these pieces visitor bait, probably helps the newspaper squeeze some revenue out of their advertisers.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Perhaps you could write to the Editor of the paper, linking in your reply, and asking him if he's brave enough to publish it in reply to her blog entry?

Top Bottom