York Festival Of Cycling, 15th &16th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
HelenD123 said:
I'm in the doghouse with Speicher for forgetting to take any photos so if anyone is taking their camera please help me out:smile:.

You're not really in the dog house! :ohmy: You were probably busy helping Spandex and Mickle. :biggrin: I am sure someone will take some nice photos.

HelenD123

Guru
Speicher said:
You're not really in the dog house! :smile: You were probably busy helping Spandex and Mickle. :smile: I am sure someone will take some nice photos.

And too busy talking to Arch. Galaxy1 and I were taken for a spin on the 7 seater conference bike by Spandex but I was too busy hanging on to take photos!

colly

Re member eR
Try as I might I couldn't persuade the kith and kin that it would be a good day out.
Not to worry as the alternative is a good old BBQ with assorted fun and games and a liberal helping of the falling down water.

Bokonon

Über Member
If anyone has lost a wasp, it hitched a ride on my shoulder to somewhere in the Wetherby area. Can't blame it really - there was one hell of a headwind and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to try flying into it.

If my lottery syndicate has done good this weekend, I'm getting myself a KMX :smile:.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I thought about it but was worried I might have been mistaken for being a paedo-terrorist.

Spandex - sorry I couldn't hang around for a chat but I needed to head back to get on with doing housework :smile:.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Had a good time, even had a go on the 7 seater ably driven by the bloke that was rapping to music, didn't catch his name - nutter - kept driving towards things!

Had a good chat with a bloke that rode RTW in 3 years. Will look him up on t'internet later. Every time I passed Arch's tent she was busy, so didn't stop for a chat. Saw Spandex flying round the site on bikes of one form or another. Saw Velocidad and Soltydog, and had a little chat.

colly

Re member eR
Well oddly enough my daughter and her boyfriend attended yesterday afternoon and had a great time. :smile:

Even rode down to Selby. Not bad considering they only got bikes about 4 days ago. She took some pics so when she gets them to me I'll post them.
With her permission of course.:eek:

galaxy1

HelenD123 said:
Wow, you must have been having a good time! Did you ever make it over to the pedal-powered Scalectrix or is that on today's agenda? It was good to meet you yesterday. I'm pretty exhausted after my windy 82 mile ride yesterday so won't be back for seconds.

I'm in the doghouse with Speicher for forgetting to take any photos so if anyone is taking their camera please help me out:smile:.

I didn't get onto the scalextrix:sad:...bloody kids:biggrin: I did have a go at the KMX Karts which was wicked (if not a bit small) and fast.Today I checked out mickles mighty bike emporium where you could try out different types of wierd and wacky bikes..groovy! Also had another go on the 7 seater conference bike which was also fun .

Today I also met Velocidad and Soltydog,nices guys.It was nice to have met you as well yesterday,it has been an awesome weekend.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Great to meet up with old & new faces :smile:
Fantastic day out & I would recomend this to anyone if it happens again next year.

Galaxy1 - If you want those bar end plugs pm me with your address :smile:
& here's a pic of the CC bike
picture.php

It was lovely meeting you all and I am sorry I did not get to chat to some of you but as you all know we had to keep the fun going.

And for those of you that could not make it here is the wright up in the York Press
York Festival of cycling

Arch

Married to Night Train
ComedyPilot said:
Had a good chat with a bloke that rode RTW in 3 years. Will look him up on t'internet later. Every time I passed Arch's tent she was busy, so didn't stop for a chat. Saw Spandex flying round the site on bikes of one form or another. Saw Velocidad and Soltydog, and had a little chat.

Yeah, it was a bit more manic on the Sunday. A big thank you to Soltydog and Velocidad for skipping off to get me an ice cream, as I hadn't had time for lunch, and then minding the tent while I went to fetch some nosh. I probably owe Solty a fraction of an hour's pay, since I came back to find him doing my job for me! (I was supposed to be doing Bike Maintenance for Ladies, although I didn't turn away any guys who needed advice). Best bit was probably fixing the funny noise one lady's gears were making, by the simple expedient of shifting her front mech back into alignment with the shifter. Not only did this fix the noise, it alerted her to the fact that she actually did have 3 chainrings....

Also spent a nice bit of time on Saturday, when it was quieter, helping a chap with advice on the rather nice Raleigh 10 spd lugged steel bike with drop bars and downtube shifters he'd inherited from a friend - the chap was a nice gentle sort of bloke, very open to listening and taking stuff in, and somehow he and the bike just seemed right together.

All in all, a great event and scope to grow I think. I talked to one lady who was bemoaning the olde worlde style of the York Rally, and reckoned the festival could take over.... Next year, we chould have a CC tent, with a big tea urn, comfy chairs and a lounge atmosphere, for CCers to meet up and chill out....:rolleyes: It was great to meet a few new people, and some familiar faces.

Arch

Married to Night Train
spandex said:
It was all free for all the shops .... to come so maybe next year?:biggrin:

It would be cool - although I'd want some time off to get to it! I never saw anything but my own tent, and the curry van.....;)

Something that would be good, BTW, and I did suggest it to the council chappie who came round, would be more timetabled demos - so Bike Maintenance Tips could be for 15 mins every hour on the hour or something - get a bit of an audience together. I guess there could be a tent just for that, alternating between beginners basic stuff and more complicated things - albeit still with people on hand to deal with individual queries. I don't know how mcuh the various ladies who aksed me stuff were inspired to do so because I was a woman - having woman to woman stuff is probably a good idea, however much I don't like to discriminate.

The other great entertainmen, of course, is the oddballs. The chap who was wandering round all day with a James Last LP under one arm reeking of booze, and the chap who was telling me all about being clocked at 60mph riding down off The Mount...

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Arch said:
Next year, we chould have a CC tent, with a big tea urn, comfy chairs and a lounge atmosphere, for CCers to meet up and chill out....;) It was great to meet a few new people, and some familiar faces.

Thats a good idea and maybe sell CC stuff (shirts, jackets whatever) and raise some money for the site and/or cover any costs for the day

One thing that always puts me off going to some events on my bike, such as the York Bike Show, is that I dont like the idea of leaving my bike unattended. So maybe somewhere either just outside or inside the CC tent for a secure bike parking area. Just an idea.

galaxy1

A CC tent would be an awesome idea for next year and the merchandise is a good idea as well.Maybe some transfers so we can all get our bikes looking as cool as solydog's..fantastic!;)

Top Bottom