Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
The Memorial Kirk at Drumclog. Odd copper clad semi spire seems rather OTT for such a small settlement, even if it was designed to serve the surroundings too. Something to do with lightning maybe...
Wikipedia says;
"This church was opened in 1912 and replaced a corrugated-iron church that had been built in 1901 to serve this remote location in Avendale and Drumclog Parish. It was designed by J McLellan Fairley in a Gothic-style with a square tower crowned with an octagonal copper covered spire. The title "Drumclog Memorial Kirk" was given in remembrance of the Battle of Drumclog that was fought nearby in 1679 when the Covenanters defeated Government troops. The original remembrance stone for this battle, damaged by a lightning strike, stands on the west side of the kirk. The stone's inscription reads "In commemoration of the victory obtained on this battlefield, on Sabbath the 11th June 1679, by our Covenanted forefathers over Graham of Claverhouse and his dragoons." A stained glass window of the battle is a further commemoration together with a replica of the Covenanter's Flag.
DSC_0977.JPG

Last edited:

gtmet

Über Member
Leaving Eastminster for another day, Saint Andrew, Whitminster, discretely placed with Whitminster House in a grove away from the road.

240308-5017 Whitminster St Andrew -tower-porch-gate-sovereign.JPG

Gwylan

Veteran
My bike is usually inside the church. On account of the local scroats and an obligation to my insurance company to secure my bike to something permanent. Don't tell the Bish.

Gwylan

Veteran
Saint Dunawd Church from the old bridge in Bangor on Dee (Bangor-is-y-coed). Fingers crossed this is also a first successful attempt at posting a picture, not least of my new pride and joy (Spa Elan)

View attachment 724702

Nice, lived near there for a few years.

Top Bottom