Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hence why I put commute in speech marks, I tend not to take the direct route to work
Fishes out calculator ...

So, you do about 27 miles each way instead of the 5 ... that is keen!

I did do a 15 miles each way commute from time to time, but only in the summer in good weather. Nearly doubling that, every day, no matter what the weather, yeah - keen! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood the destination, 61 miles the journey. My first Sunday ride for a fortnight, I got up and looked at the fog, I couldn't see the garden gate, and abandoned plans for a trip to the Lickey Hills, the fog cleared very quickly though. I took the scenic route to Earlswood, out through Balsall Common, Hasely Knob and Hatton. Between those two villages I met Mr Impatient, came up behind me at speed and sat there honking his horn, I stayed in primary, the lane was to narrow for an overtake, I made an error at the junction, showed him half a cars width and he steamed through and disappeared up the lane at an excessive speed, I think he may have had a near miss with a Tractor on the way thorough, what a dick head. Continued through Norton Lindsey and down Langley road to Shelfield then turned to go through Ullenhall and tanworth and on to Earlswood, a lovely morning, the wind was light, a bit cloudy at first but mid morning the sun came out. Unusually the Cafe was slow with the food today, they're normally better than that. When I left the cafe it had clouded over and the wind had got a bit stronger, spent a lot of the ride back into wind on fading legs, took the short route back, up Umberslade road though Nuthurst past Packwood house and Baddesley Clinton onto Balsall Common and into Coventry. The last part along Beake Avenue was hard work into the wind on faded legs and I was disappointed with a speed in the mid twenties past The Craftsman down Angina hill, without the head wind that descent is good for a fast spinning thirty on the fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles, my usual loop, with winds backing around to the west, ushering in colder air. But for now, it's 55F, pretty good fpr November, but back to complaining weather tomorrow. Getting a day like this every now and again is still pretty standard for November. Temps may stabilize in the 30s or 40s later in the week, so I'll be able to get back out again Wednesday, Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

ColinJ

Earlsdon the destination, 61 miles the journey. My first Sunday ride for a fortnight, I got up and looked at the fog, I couldn't see the garden gate, and abandoned plans for a trip to the Lickey Hills, the fog cleared very quickly though. I took the scenic route to Earlswood, out through Balsall Common, Hasely Knob and Hatton. Between those two villages I met Mr Impatient, came up behind me at speed and sat there honking his horn, I stayed in primary, the lane was to narrow for an overtake, I made an error at the junction, showed him half a cars width and he steamed through and disappeared up the lane at an excessive speed, I think he may have had a near miss with a Tractor on the way thorough, what a dick head. Continued through Norton Lindsey and down Langley road to Shelfield then turned to go through Ullenhall and tanworth and on to Earlswood, a lovely morning, the wind was light, a bit cloudy at first but mid morning the sun came out. Unusually the Cafe was slow with the food today, they're normally better than that. When I left the cafe it had clouded over and the wind had got a bit stronger, spent a lot of the ride back into wind on fading legs, took the short route back, up Umberslade road though Nuthurst past Packwood house and Baddesley Clinton onto Balsall Common and into Coventry. The last part along Beake Avenue was hard work into the wind on faded legs and I was disappointed with a speed in the mid twenties past The Craftsman down Angina hill, without the head wind that descent is good for a fast spinning thirty on the fixed.
You were thinking of where you used to live when you typed that first word ... Earls-WOOD the destination! :thumbsup:

Hence why I put commute in speech marks, I tend not to take the direct route to work
Can I nominate this as the understatement of the year please?

Example 70km starting at 5am for a 5 mile commute to work... :whistle:

Screenshot_2014-11-30-17-51-48.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Well spotted that man :blush: ^_^, senior moment :blush:
I had one myself at the Co-op a few days ago. I went to enter the PIN for my debit card, one that I have been using for many years, and my mind just went blank! The more I tried to remember, the more blank my mind felt. In the end, I relied on muscle memory - I just put my fingers on the pad and watched them do their thing. They reminded my mind what the PIN is! :laugh:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Locked up the bike in town today, just round the corner from the main thoroughfare. Three hours later I was panicking as I couldn't find my keys. Retraced my steps back to the bike. Found the keys ... still in the padlock. Bike, keys and all accessories exactly where I'd left them though my heart relocated to my mouth. Think that's what you call a double facepalm moment.

ColinJ

Locked up the bike in town today, just round the corner from the main thoroughfare. Three hours later I was panicking as I couldn't find my keys. Retraced my steps back to the bike. Found the keys ... still in the padlock. Bike, keys and all accessories exactly where I'd left them though my heart relocated to my mouth. Think that's what you call a double facepalm moment.
When I bought my house, the previous owner told me to be careful when locking the door because the catch was a bit stiff and unreliable.

I felt slightly insulted that she apparently thought me too stupid to lock a door properly.

A few days after moving in, I locked up and went to work. I did a long shift then returned home and found the door wide open. The lock was locked. I just hadn't closed the door properly before locking it ... :whistle::blush: (Nothing had been taken.)

Mattonsea

Über Member
A ride of two halves today .The boys came with me for the first section finishing up for hot drinks at a saddlery/cafe in the New Forest . So after Tom and Harry quaffed hot chocolate and cake (I abstained) , we were joined by the good wife and sprog one and four , and the boys were packed in to the landy ,and I set out for Bremore House . By One pm it was warm and fingers had thawed.Loads of gravely ,technical desents ,donkeys a couple having a crafty joint in a wood and a glorious blizzard of Oak leaves. As the sun got over the yard arm the chill set in so tryied to pick the pace up but a ham sandwich stop was needed. So 60 miles and 1500 ft of climbing. Pleased with that.The boys stats were good ,averaging 12mph !

Mike_P

Guru
18 miles which accordng to Strava included two category 4 climbs, one was downhill and have never considered it to be that significant when going in the opposite direction. Other climbs being more so and yet not categorised on Strava. Pot holes getting alarming in places and nearly rivalled today by the piles of horse muck. Thankfully neither coincided, think I would have gone for a rapid brake application and the pothole!

Last edited:
Not a good Saturday club ride yesterday as I had to pull out after half way-round as my back which I fell on last week was playing up,shame as we had a good group and it was a nice day even if the wind was a bit stronger than it said it would be.

Also Garmin HRM was giving high readings and didn't go down until I stopped and re-positioned it,after it re-connected the readings went down and stayed at what it should be for my normal pace when I rode back home;think the battery might be wearing out as it's been behaving erratically nearly every time I use it now.

Another beautiful Sunday for a bike ride. Ended up doing 112km at a fairly leisurely pace. Just cycling around taking in all the sights and sounds of the ride down to Stewarton then returning via the Eaglesham moor road before taking a wee loop out to Strathaven and Stonehouse. Weather was almost perfect, blue skies, sun, light winds and no frost or ice. However the roads were wet so the bike came home filthy. Must have counted about 50 riders out and about this morning and friendly waves/nods were exchanged with almost all of them.
Here's a wee photo showing the view over to Arran from the Clunch Road outside Stewarton

WP_20141130_001_zps2804ccd0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom